PDA

View Full Version : *Trigger post* Worried about...

loonarider77
16-03-23, 23:53
Hi everyone,

I can't sleep, and my anxiety has been very severe for the past week. I am terrified of a world war 3. We are so close.

Putin terrifies me. I heard a Russian drone was shot down (I'm not sure as I switched off the news as soon asI heard the word "Russia".

I feel sick at the thought. How to sleep? How to live life if you're constantly thinking you're going to die?

Feeling so depressed and hopeless. I also feel selfish because I'm not even in the warzone. :(

NoraB
17-03-23, 08:31
I am terrified of a world war 3. We are so close.

There's always conflict going on somewhere. (There was a conflict taking place every year of the 20th century!) Whether it's between two countries or two gobshites on social media, conflict is an unpleasant part of humanity...

Feeling so depressed and hopeless.

You can't change what's happening in the Ukraine, you only have control over what you do, and you're choosing to seek out this news and dwell on it. (And making yourself ill into the bargain)

We are not 'so close' to world war 3 as you think we are. This isn't 1939. Putin isn't Hitler...

"The purpose of nuclear deterrent is to preserve peace, prevent coercion, and deter aggression. Potential aggressors know that the cost of attacking the UK, or our NATO allies, could far outweigh any benefit they hope to achieve. This deters states from using their nuclear weapons against us, or carrying out the most extreme threats to our national security." - Ministry of Defence

"How to live if you're constantly thinking you're going to die".

We're all living with the knowledge that we're going to die. It's the only guarantee in life there is. You're alive now though, and you're choosing to spend this time scaring yourself instead of doing the kind of things that make life worth living..

Bottom line, this is all about FOD (fear of death) with you. Work on this (and acceptance of your mortality) and your MH will improve. You'll be able to tolerate such news without it sending you into a spiral...

loonarider77
19-03-23, 19:06
Thank you for your rational post. It really has helped!

NoraB
20-03-23, 07:25
Thank you for your rational post. It really has helped!

You're welcome. :yesyes:

Dan21
20-03-23, 09:33
I too have been turning myself inside out over this. I'm having trouble sleeping and am genuinely having panic attacks over all of the thoughts that are running through my mind. I'm looking round and I see people getting on with their lives and it seems so strange to me that more people aren't struggling to cope the same as me. I'm trying to avoid the news at all costs as it sets off horrible, horrible nausea and adrenaline...I'm praying every day that we can get through this to a more stable and brighter future.

NoraB
20-03-23, 12:27
I too have been turning myself inside out over this. I'm having trouble sleeping and am genuinely having panic attacks over all of the thoughts that are running through my mind. I'm looking round and I see people getting on with their lives and it seems so strange to me that more people aren't struggling to cope the same as me. I'm trying to avoid the news at all costs as it sets off horrible, horrible nausea and adrenaline...I'm praying every day that we can get through this to a more stable and brighter future.

How do you know they're not struggling?