PDA

View Full Version : Flying and worried about PAD or neuropathy issues.....

LuSmith
22-03-23, 18:11
I hope this is in the right place! This is gonna sound silly, probably, but I've not got a lot of time before my long-haul flight on Saturday, so I've not had a chance to really see my GP about it because I've had to go to them and discuss other annoying medical issues that cropped up (ear infections, skin infections.. you name it lol).

Just so it's clear, I'm 38 years old (I don't know if it's relevant but figured it might be useful due to the nature of questions/concerns I have). No diabetes diagnosis.

But for quite some time now I've been a bit panicked about the idea of maybe having either peripheral neuropathy or PAD, due to ongoing pain/burning sensations in my legs/feet that have been bothering me. I did try and speak to a GP about it before but it didn't really go anywhere other than "we'll do some typical blood tests" and the results for them came back recently in Feb just as anemia, and mildly low neutrophils, as well as decreased white blood cells.. in December of 2022 I had blood tests that showed also slightly high HDL cholesterol, and my ferritin level was a bit on the borderline low side.
I know it's very difficult to judge any problems related to this based on blood tests so in my head I have alarm bells ringing that I should most certainly be speaking to someone to make sure everything is okay to fly.

I guess the best way I could describe my pain/sensations is frequent cold extremities (hands/feet), an ongoing tingling in my hands, and in my feet I have some tingling as well as on occasion I get a sore/burning aching sensation around and near where my big toe is and just underneath and above. It's weird since that "pain" around my toe crops up more when I have been having bowel issues as it causes a burning sensation in my rectal area when I have been wiping a lot and irritate the area but usually the two both flare up at the same time.

I know I could well just be letting my anxiety spiral and should really be looking forward to this trip but I really really don't want to get on the plane and then end up in a situation where I'm almost dying from a blood clot or something. I know I have terrible circulation, so I'm all for wearing compression flight socks but I also know that there's certain situations you shouldn't wear them (like if you have PAD or nerve issues etc) so I'm terrified I'll make the wrong move.
The last time I flew in 2018 I was fine and I had no issues as far as I remember but then I didn't have this weird sensation in my leg/foot/rectal area around that time.

I was wondering if anyone could chime in or advise if they've either been a) diagnosed with PAD or neuropathy issues and/or b) flown before, or if anyone has any experience on whether I should be getting specific flight socks or not using them at all.

Thanks, and I hope this isn't a silly thing to ask :blush: