PDA

View Full Version : Stomach Bugs

Munchlet
23-03-23, 19:53
So I'm having a bit of a wobble and just wondered if anyone else had experienced this before.

Basically, I caught Covid last August and whilst I escaped with fairly mild symptoms compared to many people, ever since I had it I feel like my immune system is really messed up.

I had a cold a month or so after Covid and then at the beginning of November I had a 24 hour stomach bug. Fast forward to Jan and I had a stinking cold that laid me up for a couple of day and now this week I've gone down with another 24 hour stomach bug.

I'm starting to panic not so much about the colds as it's been winter and I work in schools so that's pretty standard but the stomach bugs, I've never had two in such quick succession.

So whilst the symptoms were classic stomach bug symptoms, vomiting and diarrhoea which stopped within a few hours and then left me with a banging headache and feeling washed out I'm worrying about why I've caught 2 in a few months particularly when I can normally go years between them.

I am very stressed at the moment due to work, and generally feeling there aren't enough hours in the day and my diet hasn't been great and to be honest lacking in fruit and veg but I'm still stressing and starting to go down the route or some sort of cancer, pancreatic, liver, stomach etc.

It's not helping that I'm turning 50 in a few days and feeling more anxious as a lot of these horrible illnesses become more likely.

Has anyone else ever experienced anything like this?

Darksky
23-03-23, 21:03
I really wouldn’t worry about it. I used to work in a school and constant colds and frequent stomach bugs were the norm for me.

BlueIris
24-03-23, 05:05
Fellow education worker here. Firstly, I had my second bout of covid over Christmas and it wrecked me, I'm still just wanting to sleep all the time, and getting a cold can floor me for days now.

Secondly, if the students are getting it then you probably will too. It's unfortunate, but it's also an occupational hazard.

NoraB
24-03-23, 06:57
I'm starting to panic not so much about the colds as it's been winter and I work in schools so that's pretty standard but the stomach bugs, I've never had two in such quick succession.

So whilst the symptoms were classic stomach bug symptoms, vomiting and diarrhoea which stopped within a few hours and then left me with a banging headache and feeling washed out I'm worrying about why I've caught 2 in a few months particularly when I can normally go years between them.

I am very stressed at the moment due to work, and generally feeling there aren't enough hours in the day and my diet hasn't been great and to be honest lacking in fruit and veg but I'm still stressing and starting to go down the route or some sort of cancer, pancreatic, liver, stomach etc.

As Blue says, schools and germs are the norm. Add stress into the equation (which affects the immune system and make it's harder for the body to shake off illness) and that's why you've copped for two in a row..

Addressing your stress levels should improve your physical and mental health. If you're doing too much at home as well as work, then maybe delegate and take some pressure off yourself?

Honestly, taking your mind down the cancer route will only make things worse. Instead, deal with the obvious issues like your stress, and maybe throw in some more fruit and veg...

Also, don't fret about reaching the big five-oh my God I'm 50!!!! It's just a number. A few tweaks to your lifestyle, and you could be feeling like a 40 year-old again. :yesyes:

Munchlet
25-03-23, 07:31
Thanks for the replies.
I have bought some vitamins and I’m definitely trying to eat more fruit and vegetables.
Stress levels I definitely need to work as well.
Urgh I hate anxiety!
Anyone have any recommendations for trying to get your stomach back to normal after a bug?
I’m eating small amounts but particularly in the evening my stomach just bloats and feels so uncomfortable. I also tore my throat from vomiting so much as had small streaks of blood the last time I vomited so that still feels uncomfortable.
Just want to go back to normal ☹️