PDA

View Full Version : Scared of sepsis

ilovebigbirds
28-03-23, 15:09
Hi! So today I was handling reflex hammers and the sharp side of it (used for Babinski) accidentally punctured my skin. I don't think it was so deep since no blood came out, but if I look close I can see a red dot (dried blood?)
I've read enough about sepsis from wound infections that would scare me for a lifetime, including stories of people who shrugged off very minor scrapes and then ending up dying from sepsis.
Should I be concerned of getting sepsis from this? I am just super conscious because I don't know when the last time this reflex hammer was disinfected and I don't want to get a nasty bacterial or fungal blood infection from this
I hate this feeling of anxiety and worry :(

Rosanna
28-03-23, 15:38
I have a thread here about the same thing, I've just had cellulitis (not sepsis but a bad infection).

That said it's unlikely, most cuts won't turn to sepsis and if they are serious they would go to cellulitis first (which is not sepsis), but most won't even do that.

All you need to do is keep the area clean, use a soap that's moisturising because that prevents the skin getting dry or cracking (or forming microscopic cracks which allow bacteria in). The skin didn't break which is good, but probably bruised it underneath, so the red spot is where maybe a small blood vessel broke, but under the skin. So in theory nothing would have gone in. If it did, it would still be unlikely to cause sepsis. Keeping it clean would prevent that anyway. The body is amazing in how it fights off things. :-)

ilovebigbirds
28-03-23, 17:33
I have a thread here about the same thing, I've just had cellulitis (not sepsis but a bad infection).

That said it's unlikely, most cuts won't turn to sepsis and if they are serious they would go to cellulitis first (which is not sepsis), but most won't even do that.

All you need to do is keep the area clean, use a soap that's moisturising because that prevents the skin getting dry or cracking (or forming microscopic cracks which allow bacteria in). The skin didn't break which is good, but probably bruised it underneath, so the red spot is where maybe a small blood vessel broke, but under the skin. So in theory nothing would have gone in. If it did, it would still be unlikely to cause sepsis. Keeping it clean would prevent that anyway. The body is amazing in how it fights off things. :-)

Thank you for your reply! I am just so worried because I think I am the deepest I've ever been in my Health Anxiety and I really hate it. Thank you for your comment, it helped tone my worries down!

ilovebigbirds
28-03-23, 17:33
I hope your cellulitis has fully healed! :D

Rosanna
28-03-23, 17:49
Thanks, nearly. Glad you feel a bit better, as long as you are keeping the area clean I'm sure it will clear up.