PDA

View Full Version : Blood when I coughed.

Helena1982
31-03-23, 21:03
Hello all,
I have health anxiety and I am major stressing about something which happened to me yesterday and today.
I had a cold a couple of weeks ago and never fully cleared the mucus. I get a tickle in my throat a few times a day.
Yesterday I could taste blood and felt like I needed to cough and I coughed up loads of pure blood.
I panicked and when off to emergency room.
They sent me to see a GP in the hospital. I was sent for a chest x-ray and he said it was clear.
He thinks the blood is coming from a burst vessel in my throat.

I happened to have a doctor's appointment today anyway so I mentioned it to my own GP.
He agreed that it is from the throat is most likely a burst vessel.
My problem is as I haven't had a camera down my throat my health anxiety mind is having problems not believing them and thinking it's cancer of throat or chest.
It was able 2 tea spoons full of pure blood that I coughed up so I keep thinking the worse.
Anyone had any similar experiences or thoughts on this.

Many thanks

Carnation
31-03-23, 22:14
Yes, I’ve had this after the flu and a burst blood vessel is likely to be the reason caused by hard coughing.
You have been checked by a Dr so you should have peace of mind.

Fishmanpa
31-03-23, 23:29
I've had this happen as well as random nose bleeds. I checked with my doctor the last physical and he wasn't concerned at all and after my physical, he attributed it to dry nasal passages or throat and a burst blood vessel and yeah, it still happens occasionally but I know what it is so :shrug:

FMP

Helena1982
01-04-23, 20:13
Thank you both for your replies.
I had a bit more today. Not as much as the day before but trying to rationalise my thoughts so my anxiety doesn't get too bad.
If I have burst a vessel in my throat, it'll take a while to heal and I'd have other symptoms if I had throat cancer .
Trying to think like a rational person 😫

Helena1982
01-04-23, 20:16
Yes, I’ve had this after the flu and a burst blood vessel is likely to be the reason caused by hard coughing.
You have been checked by a Dr so you should have peace of mind.

Mine was about a tea spoon full of pure blood. It was so frightening. The doctor didn't seem fazed but I was almost in tears 😔

Carnation
01-04-23, 23:49
It is frightening and worrying. I was too. But it made sense that it was a burst blood vessel with the hard coughing. I had a little residue for a day or two as well.

Helena1982
03-04-23, 07:21
Thank you very much for your reply.