PDA

View Full Version : Worried about Hantavirus

julia241977
03-04-23, 19:01
I was packing away some cleaning supplies under a sink when I discovered some mouse poop. The room I was in isn't super well-ventilated. It looked pretty old and dry, and I didn't touch it without gloves, washed my hands really well after discovering it, wore an N95 the rest of the time I was in the room.

This is an urban part of the Northeastern USA, and it sounds like Hantavirus is extremely unlikely to happen given all these circumstances, but I can't stop worrying anyway (esp given the high mortality rate). Could I get some reassurance that I'll be okay?

Scass
05-04-23, 09:35
You’ll be ok [emoji4]

WorryRaptor
05-04-23, 13:18
Sounds like you'll be fine. Not only is it rare, but it was dried out, you're in an urban area, plus you took all the precautions.

To put it into a bit of perspective, lots and lots of people come into contact with mouse poop every day. There are thousands of plumbers, farmers, construction workers, cleaners etc who will be rummaging around in old houses, pipework, walls and crawlspaces, probably breathing in lots of weird particles and touching all kinds of fresh mousey surprises! They don't catch hantavirus :)

You'll be ok.