PDA

View Full Version : Solid mass on ovary, super scared! :-( Any advice?

Marigold83
05-04-23, 23:20
Has anyone ever had a solid mass on their ovary that turned out to be benign? I'm scared shitless and spiraling after a TV/pelvic ultrasound showed I have a 1.7cm "solid lesion" on my right ovary and my doctor referred me for an MRI. I'm 39 years old with a 7 year old kid I want to see grow up!

I have to wait 5 weeks for the MRI and I'm not sure how to make it through! There's been lots of reproductive cancers in my family (grandma had metastatic melanoma/colon/bilateral breast cancer, great-grandma and great-great grandma both had ovarian cancer in their older years), though my mom and I have both had extensive genetic testing that didn't come up with any variants of significance. I've had many pelvic ultrasounds over the years and some complex cysts, but the most recent U/S 2.5 years ago showed nothing. That makes it seem like this mass has grown quite fast.

Any advice for how to stay clear headed over the next 5 weeks? I reached out to my doc explaining my anxiety related to family history and asking if there's any other testing I can do between then and now, and she messaged me a brief response that said, yes, she agrees a solid mass is more concerning than a fluid-filled mass, but MRI is the best diagnostic tool. Obviously not the reassurance or fast-track I was seeking.

Full details: "1.7 cm solid lesion within the right ovary with mild peripheral vascularity and mild central hyperechogenicity. Differential diagnosis includes dermoid cyst versus solid ovarian lesion. Further evaluation with contrast-enhanced MRI of the pelvis is recommended."

Thank you for any support.

Punky789
12-04-23, 03:13
I'm sorry I don't have any good advice to give. But I just wanted to let you know I have read your post and am wishing you nothing but good health. I think the best thing you can do is to try to just keep moving forward day by day. And remind yourself it's not something until you're told it's something.

I hope someone can offer some better advice than me.

katniss
19-04-23, 05:34
Ugh, I feel for you. 5 weeks is a long time. I suppose if it were urgent they would have sent you sooner. Your lesion could be a dermoid cyst, resolving cyst or fibroid. It’s small! Wishing you the best of heath and I hope you come back to update us, telling us it was nothing! 😊