PDA

View Full Version : My first post

positive
17-02-05, 12:14
Hello everyone, this is my very first post on this site. I think it's amazing that there is forum to talk about depression, anxiety, and other mental health issues that affect so many people all over the world.

I am 25 years of age, and I have been experiencing feelings of general anxiety since my teen years. However, I have never had a panic attack. My mother has suffered from chronic anxiety and depression ever since i can remember.

After breaking up with a long term boyfriend about 3 years ago, I became moderately depressed. This subsided with time, however, I found myself getting more depressed in the last 10 months, when I moved to a new city, away from family and friends. I began comfort eating, which in turn was quite depressing, and started to lose interest in social activities. I felt something "just wasn't quite right" and about two months ago felt I had hit rock bottom. I really had no motivation to get up in the mornings, and was always anxious that my boss at work thought I was inadequate or lazy (i have the tendency of arriving at work a bit late - not excessively though).

I was feeling so low towards the end of last year, that I decided to ask my Dr for antidepressants. This was a huge step for me, since the last time I was depressed (when I broke up with my ex 3 years ago, which was the first time I felt real depression) I refused to take antidepressants, and decided to battle it on my own.

Anyway, I have been on fluox (prozac) since 9 January 2005. First couple of weeks were really weird, really up and down feelings, and kind of suicidal thoughts too (although i am not by nature a person that gets suicidal thoughts, even when i'm very low). Then, in the following weeks, I started feeling up, like a calming feeling had taken over. I felt more confident at work, and things didn't really get to me as much. However, in the last week and a bit, I have been feeling a little anxious again - this would be my 6th week taking fluox. I kinda feel like the "high" is over - I had also stopped comfort eating after the first few weeks on fluox, but suddenly have gained back my normal appetite.

In the last 3 and a half years i have taken recreational drugs (e) maybe a dozen times. I thought this may have affected my serotonin levels, but I'm not sure if that is completely true, as it was only very recently that my depression got really bad (ie only recently did i feel that i needed real help cos i couldn't cope).

I was just hoping some of you could share your experiences with fluox (prozac), particularly regarding the period it takes to kick in. I'd hate to think that I won[t be feeling much better after this, altho that being said, i do feel like i can "cope" with everydaythings (eg getting up to go to work) a lot better, and that i dont have such a short fuse with overbearing people like my mother.

Hope God (or whatevery spiritual force you believe in) gives you all strength, wisdom and hope to face the challenges in your life!

All the best to everyone.

kate
17-02-05, 12:37
Hi Positive ( Love the name!!),

Welcome to the forum.

I personally didn't get on very well with Prozac, but can give you my experiences on Prothiaden, a much older drug which is not prescribed so much these days. Suited me though!

My first bout of depression was when I was 19. I was on the Prothiaden for about 6 months before I noticed a difference. Slowly, day by day, I found that the black cloud that hung over me was lifting, a little at a time. I started having an interest in life once again, and even laughed on occassion.

After about 12 months, I started cutting down slowly, under the direction of my GP, and a further 6 months or so later, was off the medication completely.

Just remember, it takes a while for the med's to start working fully so don't feel that, after a short while, that they aren't working.

Hope this has been of some help to you!

Love Kate x

seh1980
17-02-05, 13:28
hi positive,

Welcome to the forum!! Hope that we can all be of some help to you.

Sarah :D

JPF
17-02-05, 15:34
Hi Positive

Welcome to the forum.. Although I can't offer any experience with the meds you mentioned I just wanted to say that this is a wonderful place for support and information, it will make a great difference to you and your recovery.

Good luck and good health

J

FAN
17-02-05, 15:36
hi welcome to the forum im sure you ewill find it very helpful

fan x

lisarose
17-02-05, 15:45
Hi Positive and welcome to the forum.

I only joined this week and have already found it incredibly helpful and they are such good people on this site, very friendly and welcoming.

I have had post-natal depression with anxiety and panic attacks since by son was born in 2000 but am now much better. I only started to get properly well last August after starting on Effexor, but I had tried prozac before and had the same experience so stopped taking it and refused all others as I thought they would be the same. The only thing is with the Effexor is that I tried to stop taking it the other day and went 3 days without and after 2 days had terrible withdrawal effects so had to go back on it again. Maybe if you saw your doctor again and tell him how they are making you feel he might suggest something else. Some meds have different reactions in different people but don't give up trying.

Some meds can make you more anxious than you were before so just be careful but saying that everything has the potential to cause side effects so it is a "lesser of two evils".

Take care

Love Lisaxxx

vernon
17-02-05, 17:02
hi and welcome to the site. I tried Prozac a few months ago but only took them for four weeks as lots on here said they found Prozac is ok for depression but noone had any luck with anxiety, fears phobias etc. I then found a lot of people on here and other sites had good luck with Cipralex ( a quite new SSRI) so I asked Doctor for these. I found I felt much better after a few weeks, hardly no side effects but. do get the off realy bad days but not as much or as bad as they where when not on any meds. My doctor and shrink also said Cipralex was a good choice as they havnt found any meds than intereact with them, there isnt even a warning teling you to avoid alcohol. which i dont drink anymore anyway.they all say you have to have bad spells though so u can learn to cope and learn how to hancle it. I am sure it will get better and better, good luck . Vernon

nomorepanic
17-02-05, 21:48
Hi Positive

Just wanted to welcome you aboard the forum and I will catch up with the posts soon.

Nicola

Mike26uk
17-02-05, 22:27
Hiya, welcome to the site. I'm new here myself and am sure you will find everyone supportive and friendly. I would also recommend the chatroom though you'll have to get up early in the morning over there to catch it at it's busiest.

positive
18-02-05, 01:03
Thanks everyone for your warm welcome. I was thinking after I wrote my message last night that i felt so much better sharing my feelings in a non-judgemental forum. I think I should try and give Prozac a go for at least three months, then see what happens. Hope all's well with everyone!