PDA

View Full Version : Lawn Chemical Concern - Am I Overreacting?

Lizzy84
11-04-23, 21:42
Hi,
I'm so worried, and I am really hoping someone can respond to let me know if my current fear is rational or if I'm overreacting.

A couple days ago, TruGreen lawncare serviced my neighbor's lawn. I'm typically worried about chemicals in general, but right now I'm terrified. Our homes are really close together, and they started spraying the lawn chemicals about 10 feet away from me as I was trying to get in my house. This wasn't like a guy with the chemicals on his back spraying, but it was from a TruGreen truck with a hose, so what was coming out of the hose was more chemicals than just a smaller nozzle that most people use. I was close enough to see the spray come out of the hose, and I attached a picture from my doorbell camera so you can see how close he is to me. I ran the other way as fast as I could, so I would say my total exposure was less than a minute. I took a shower once I got inside, but I'm so scared that I inhaled the poison, and it's causing neurotoxic effects. I've been feeling off, tired, slightly dizzy and my brain fog has ramped up.

I asked my neighbor what was sprayed, and she said it was pre-emergent weed killer (herbicide) and fertilizer. I'm terrified that this brief exposure has done damage to my brain or nervous system.

What would you do in this situation? Am I right about being worried or overthinking?

Thank you so much for reading this.

Fishmanpa
11-04-23, 23:35
Lawn Chemical Concern - Am I Overreacting?

1000% yes. No 'What Ifs' or 'Yeah buts'. Your symptoms are anxiety. End of story :byebye:

FMP

Mocadona
11-04-23, 23:43
Do you think your neighbour is having the same thoughts right now? Or the guy spraying it?!

kyllikki
12-04-23, 18:43
Hi! I've unfortunately been exposed to this stuff and *worse* and I am here to tell you that you did exactly the right thing, to get indoors fast and then shower off any residue -- since with chemicals, dose and frequency or duration matter almost as much as how "bad" they are or are not.

Any perceived effects are most likely your anxiety. At any rate, the human body is actually really excellent at filtering out bad stuff.

Lizzy84
13-04-23, 17:01
Thank you so much for your replies. Sometimes it’s so hard for me to tell if symptoms are caused by my anxiety, or if I really have something to worry about. Sounds like this is anxiety-related.

Lizzy84
13-04-23, 17:03
No, they probably haven’t given it a second thought. :(

Mocadona
13-04-23, 20:14
No, they probably haven’t given it a second thought. :(
I wouldn't think so. I hope I didn't come across as sneering or anything, I've had some absolutely crazy thoughts over the years, but I think that type of rational thinking is the best way to deal with HA.

I could have told you that a lot of pre emptive weed killers are organic, or that glyphosate actually isn't that bad for acute toxicity (which was your concern), particularly if you inhale it the worst you might get is a sore nose. But that will work for this one and the next time something happens you'll be off again. You really have to challenge the thoughts! It isn't easy at first but it can be done!