PDA

View Full Version : Subdural hematoma/brain bleed fears... pls help

ilovebigbirds
15-04-23, 08:39
One of my fears is getting a subdural hematoma whenever I hit/bump my head. As a chronically clumsy person, that happens more than I'd like. So I wanted to get some objective facts to keep in mind whenever I hit my head so that I won't panic: how common are subdural hematomas in 20-year-old females? How hard must a hit in the head be to cause a subdural hematoma?
I feel like one way to get rid of my fears is to learn more facts, and I feel like Google doesn't do a good job when googling about medical stuff
My latest clumsiness is that when my little sister was trying to wake me up, I turned around and her elbow bumped by temple :') I'm sure these type of impacts are common everyday stuff, but I can't help but feel anxious and feel a tension around my eyebrows and forehead, and I think it would do me good to get some reassurance through facts and experiences

Mocadona
15-04-23, 09:52
I feel like one way to get rid of my fears is to learn more facts

A thousand times NO on this!! It's reassurance seeking, and there is always the chance you misinterpret something or find something which will only lead to more anxiety. Manifesting symptoms you just read about is extremely common with health anxiety also, so staying off google is the best way forward. Reassurance only works temporarily, I've lost count of the times I've said "if I could just make sure this isn't sinister I'll be OK", only for something else to pop up very quickly.

ilovebigbirds
15-04-23, 12:37
Thank you for your reply! I do feel scared. I thought seeking knowledge would eliminate my fears but honestly Google says that even a "mild headache that stays for longer" after a bump to head could be subdural hematoma and this is scaring me.:weep: Especially since I also read that the temple is the weakest place in the head and that hits here are dangerous

Mocadona
16-04-23, 10:01
That's what can happen when looking for reassurance and facts. We often see the most vague and innocuous thing (Mild headache that stays for longer) in a list of symptoms as definite proof we have an illness.

Can a mild long lasting headache mean what you fear? Sure, but it can also mean everything from a hangover to tension to sinuses. If you look for evidence of something hard enough, google will happily oblige and your HA mind will ignore all the other evidence that points away from what you fear. As I've said before when all you have is a hammer, everything looks like a nail! It's important to try stop googling ASAP before these "facts" get burned into your memory.