PDA

View Full Version : So close but…so far

Haulden
18-04-23, 21:49
So I’ve been really great at coping with everything for a long while now. I’ve moved house, changed jobs, been to social events, travelled and everything has been great.

Tomorrow, I’m supposed to be at an all day work conference, I’ve travelled to london from home in Edinburgh and had an explore of the city and a few quiet drinks with my kindle in hand.

I literally cannot face the idea of the conference tomorrow, it’s a free event and a lot of it is social based and networking. I’ve been having nausea, sweats, the whole shebang and I’m really thinking I shouldn’t push myself to go as I think I’ll struggle all day but I’m so annoyed at myself. Fallen at the final hurdle.

Work aren't aware of my anxiety as it’s never come up in this role so I feel a bit helpless. I know they’d be fine as they are very pro mental health but I don’t want to admit I expensed a train and a hotel, was fine swann8ng around london but couldn’t face a conference for 8 hours.

Catkins
19-04-23, 06:23
Can you plan what things you want to see? Focus on them and take frequent breaks away from all the noise? You could even leave earlier?

It might make things easier if you break things down into smaller pieces rather than thinking '8 hours'?

NoraB
19-04-23, 07:08
Fallen at the final hurdle.

I'd say you stalled at the final hurdle, rather than fell... (and this means you get to back up and give it another go)

Catkins has given you some good advice here..

However, even if you don't manage it today, try to look at how far you've come rather than dwelling on a little bump in the road..

Moving house, changing jobs etc is a big enough challenge for people who don't struggle with anxiety, so I think you've done amazingly well!

Plus, you took London on and nailed it! :shades: