PDA

View Full Version : Inconclusive blood test - serum tsh

Griffo
21-04-23, 11:58
Hi all,

Freaking out a bit. I recently saw a GP again about my worries of having bowel, stomach, or pancreatic cancer due to some abdominal discomfort. I had a blood test and today I called the doctors to get my results.

The lady on reception said they’ve all come back as no further action needed except for one. She said that one needs to be done again in two months as it was inconclusive. She said it’s something to do with serum tsh, but doesn’t know enough to tell me what that’s about.

She said they’ve sent out a letter today.

I did some Googling, and it looks like it’s something to do with my thyroid.

If it was something serious, like suspected thyroid cancer or something, then surely they wouldn’t want me to repeat the test in TWO MONTHS? And surely wouldn’t have told me via a letter?

Pamplemousse
21-04-23, 21:20
Hi all,

Freaking out a bit.

[...]

If it was something serious, like suspected thyroid cancer or something, then surely they wouldn’t want me to repeat the test in TWO MONTHS? And surely wouldn’t have told me via a letter?

Well, if they want you to repeat the test in two months, it's extremely unlikely to be anything serious, now is it?

https://www.nhs.uk/conditions/underactive-thyroid-hypothyroidism/diagnosis/

I spent some months wondering if I had penile cancer or Fournier's Gangrene, scared senseless of going to the doctor despite smells and appearance for six months.

Nope, just balanitis. A cream for just over a week fixed it. I'm now reaching that point where I refuse to let my HA ruin my life any more - I've had it for fifty years, since I was a child in fact.

No more.

Griffo
24-04-23, 12:20
Well, if they want you to repeat the test in two months, it's extremely unlikely to be anything serious, now is it?

https://www.nhs.uk/conditions/underactive-thyroid-hypothyroidism/diagnosis/

I spent some months wondering if I had penile cancer or Fournier's Gangrene, scared senseless of going to the doctor despite smells and appearance for six months.

Nope, just balanitis. A cream for just over a week fixed it. I'm now reaching that point where I refuse to let my HA ruin my life any more - I've had it for fifty years, since I was a child in fact.

No more.

I really hope so! I've struggled with anxiety and depression for 15 years or more (I'm currently 32) and haven't had these kinds of abdomen and pelvis pains before. I'm just waiting on the letter from the Dr and hoping he's put some sort of explanation on it. I was panicking yesterday and ordered a stool test that looks for blood. They're the same ones the NHS use, so i'll get that tomorrow and hopefully get the results from that this week.

Pamplemousse
24-04-23, 14:50
I really hope so! I've struggled with anxiety and depression for 15 years or more (I'm currently 32) and haven't had these kinds of abdomen and pelvis pains before. I'm just waiting on the letter from the Dr and hoping he's put some sort of explanation on it. I was panicking yesterday and ordered a stool test that looks for blood. They're the same ones the NHS use, so i'll get that tomorrow and hopefully get the results from that this week.

You have my sympathy with such long-term issues of anxiety and depression: mine started much earlier (aged about seven or eight) and I'm still not totally on top of it, but I am better in some ways.

However, I will ask you this. You've ordered a stool test which will have no doubt assuaged your anxiety - for now. Once you've done the test, then what? Will you put it to the back of your mind and not worry about it until you get your results? Or will you spend the entire time once that package has been sent away worrying about what the result might be?

Once you've got that result, what will you do if it's negative? Similarly, what if it's positive? Unless I'm missing something, I don't think you're a doctor unless you've got MBChB hidden in your user name or signature somewhere so how can you interpret it? And please, don't say "Google".

It's all too easy for us anxiety sufferers to think "...but what if they're wrong?" about the medical profession. I know, I've done it enough times: I've even been told off by a doctor when I expressed surprise at a good test result (an ECG in this case) - his response was "Why? Do you want to be ill?"

You really do need to develop some faith in the medical profession: and as I sign off, a little plea from me.

I have let health anxiety destroy my life and damage relationships over the last fifty years and I get distressed when I think about it: please, don't go down that path yourself. No good will come of it.