PDA

View Full Version : Ate food past use-by

wasdhu
22-04-23, 21:43
They were thick chips you cook in the oven and they have cheese. My boyfriend cooked them and didn't check the use-by. I ate a few mouthfuls before I felt something was off and checked the date. They were past one day which is the only hope I'm trying to hold onto. But I've accidentally eaten food past one day before and my stomach didn't like it. I'm really upset and frustrated because he knows what I'm like and I trust him to make sure food is ok before he gives it to me. It takes a second to just ****ing look at the use-by as you grab it out the fridge. I'm extra frustrated because I'm going on holiday soon and getting food poisoning right before I'm supposed to go would just be my nightmare, I can feel the thought trying to ruin my day, I'm trying very hard to ignore it but I'm feeling my stomach start to hurt... so so so frustrated and annoyed and angry and upset...

nomorepanic
22-04-23, 22:10
one day is nothing to worry about. They are only chips so can't hurt you

fishman65
22-04-23, 22:28
wasdhu, you've nothing to worry about. Chips one day over the date are not going to harm you, neither is cheese. You'll be fine :hugs:

BlueIris
23-04-23, 05:30
This is why people have eyes and a nose. You'll be totally fine, and your stomach acting up is just a response to your worry. I eat food a day or two past the use by all the time and I've never had a problem - the only thing I won't do it with is raw meat, which gets frozen.

Go ahead and enjoy your holiday, and don't be cruel to your boyfriend over this - it's your job to recover from your mental illness, and us HA people shouldn't let our neuroses be somebody else's problem.

wasdhu
23-04-23, 08:28
Thanks guys, everyone’s replies did help me calm down a little. I wasn’t mean to my boyfriend, all my venting was done here and not to him.
I’m still worrying a lot though, I woke up this morning with nausea and stomach pain. I know it’s more likely to be anxiety, it’s just been a while since it was strong enough to give me nausea. I’ve been doing really well with managing it but this has pushed me over the edge. Again just feeling frustrated this had to happen days before my holiday. Lots of obsessive thoughts I’m struggling to control

serith
24-04-23, 14:41
Yeah, as you know, the problem is your obsessive thoughts, not the food you ate. I eat expired food almost every day, usually cheese (my work place gets old stuff donated from grocery stores).