PDA

View Full Version : Marie Celeste

fishman65
25-04-23, 19:18
I thought I'd start a thread about this infamous ghost ship, which was found deserted and adrift in the Atlantic ocean on 4th December 1872.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mary_Celeste

Darksky
25-04-23, 20:56
The annoying thing is not knowing. I like stuff tied up nicely and we will never, ever know.
I don’t believe that story about the exploding alcohol. With experienced crew and officers? All panicked by a particularly loud bang and abandoned the ship? No I don’t buy that.

fishman65
26-04-23, 00:56
It’s a mystery where all the people went to, all the crew just vanished. We could almost say the Marie Celeste is a metaphor…

fishman65
26-04-23, 00:56
Eh Darksky 😉

Darksky
26-04-23, 13:55
Well yes you could. But do you think it’s as grave as Aragorn implies?

fishman65
26-04-23, 14:28
Possibly not by today's reckoning. Has the tide turned? Is the breeze set fair? Has the Marie Celeste recovered its crew? Oh I do love speaking in riddles.

Darksky
26-04-23, 17:38
Yes with a call of ‘all hands on deck’, we appear to have avoided sailing too close to the wind and have reduced our chances of languishing in the Doldrums.

It’s a very good job I understand you Smeagol or else you’d be getting messages asking if you’re ok. Hold firm Captain Bligh, Fletcher Christian has called the ambulance. Oh yes….I remember now…that didnt go well did it?:shades:

fishman65
26-04-23, 17:49
Ah yes, the infamous 'Mutiny on the Crunchie'. :blush:

fishman65
20-05-23, 13:25
I see the title of this thread is once again wandering aimlessly, like a spider within the warmth of a shadow. Crewless.

WiredIncorrectly
20-05-23, 13:39
Fascinating. Missing planes are interesting too. How does a huge plain just dissapear to be never found again.

There's quite a few too: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_missing_aircraft

fishman65
20-05-23, 13:50
That's a huge number of missing planes Wired!! The ocean floors must be littered with them. Its not surprising really that so many just vanish. If we think about the depth of water, they say we know more about space than our own oceans and that's very believable.

The Bermuda Triangle is well known for swallowing up aircraft. Navigation systems go haywire apparently, something to do with magnetic fields in that area?

WiredIncorrectly
20-05-23, 15:06
That's a huge number of missing planes Wired!! The ocean floors must be littered with them. Its not surprising really that so many just vanish. If we think about the depth of water, they say we know more about space than our own oceans and that's very believable.

The Bermuda Triangle is well known for swallowing up aircraft. Navigation systems go haywire apparently, something to do with magnetic fields in that area?

You are right, the oceans are a mystery. Even with machines we can't physically get to the bottom of the ocean floor. Those folks who do the welding on the rigs are special people. They have to be pressurised in the module, and they return back up daily but they can't leave the pressurised module because they'll end up dead. When they finish they have to remain in the module until the pressure is reduced which takes quite a while.

Bernuda is another fascinating place. Have people not travelled there to investigate that mystery? Surely scientists must have ventured there.

fishman65
20-05-23, 19:05
I've heard about those divers on the rigs, it pays very handsomely but then it needs to. Danger money.

The Bermuda Triangle, they believed they had found one of 5 planes that went missing from Flight 19. Those planes went missing in Dec 1945. However it turned out to be a different plane https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flight_19

fishman65
08-07-23, 20:09
She sails again!! Ahoy there deserted ghost ship, drifting rudderless...

Darksky
08-07-23, 20:55
Not entirely crewless, Fishman :D

fishman65
08-07-23, 22:11
Not entirely crewless, Fishman :DOK not entirely but a skeleton crew? And most of those are asleep. Drifting, aimless, a lost and lonely soul...