PDA

View Full Version : Anxiety and Weight loss

Saintdee78
13-05-23, 12:04
Hi,

I have HA and GAD and been through a really bad spell this last couple months, especially the last month. I had blood tests and stool samples done last week which were all ok and I have been put back on medication. My main symptoms are lightheaded or feeling dizzy most the day, but I’m also now starting to get worked up about weight loss. I don’t use the scales because I obsess, but I can visually see that I have lost weight. I try to rationalise my thoughts and say that I have not had much appetite, I have nothing eaten so much crap and my daily leg trembling and panic will of sped up my metabolism. But it really hard to listen to my on advice, so just reaching out to fellow sufferers for their thoughts or experiences.

Darksky
13-05-23, 14:15
This is an easy one.

Several years back when I was going through serious stress and anxiety I lost nearly two stone in weight in a short time. Not being particularly overweight in the first place I did not want to lose it. I was eating normally but still the weight fell off. Anxiety burns calories…fact.

All the weight will go back on when you get back onto an even keel. Whether you want it to or not.:winks:

Topsy83
13-05-23, 16:06
Agree completely Darksky. Anxiety speeds the metabolism and plays havoc with sleep patterns and sometimes (in my case frequently) plays havoc with the appetite. All these things can lead to profound weight loss. Saintdee78 try to eat small amounts often. It helps a bit. Find anything high calorie that you like. It's a bonus if it's healthy. Mine was avocado - ate one a day for a few weeks! If you can stomach it try high cal drinks of some kind (although many, to my mind, taste disgusting :meh: ). The other thing I did was stop worrying about putting weight back on and just concentrated on trying not to lose too much more. But not sure that will help if you are (wisely) avoiding the scales. Either way, all the best. Hope things get better soon.