PDA

View Full Version : Lead Paint Fears

SweetPotato80
22-05-23, 19:16
I'm currently worrying myself sick about this issue. A couple of days ago, I discovered that my Edwardian home contains lead paint. It shouldn't really have come as such a shock but it had never been something that I had thought much about before. The paint work around our windows, some older sections of skirting, and one old door frame contiain lead paint according to home swab tests. The paint work does have some chips and flaking in places, but worst of all is a large section of door frame where I accidentally knocked off a chunk of paint trying to fit a child proof lock a few months ago. The reason I'm feeling so terrified isn't for me, or my husband, but our toddler. She has lived in this home since she was born and I'm just so afraid that she has been exposed to lead dust from the paint and worst of all, that she may have touched the door frame and then put her hands in her mouth without me noticing. She is a very healthy and bright child, but I know that lead poisoning can be present without symptoms so I plan to get her tested as soon as possible. I'm so angry and upset with myself for not thinking about lead paint and dealing with it before she was even born, and I'm scouring the internet to try and work out what else I can do or find advice from those who have gone through something similar. Thank you.

ErinKC
26-05-23, 21:46
Don't beat yourself up! She's likely fine. And I believe if her levels are elevated there is a supplement they give (at least here in the US) to help break it down. I have a friend who is renovating a historic home and they were literally sanding down lead paint for like a year. They discovered their daughter's levels were high and they treated it and she's fine now.