PDA

View Full Version : Please Read - Swallowed Teeth Whitener at Dentist

Lizzy84
31-05-23, 16:38
Hi everyone,
I had my teeth professionally whitened a few days ago at the dentist, and they used a product called Glo Science with 30% hydrogen peroxide as the bleaching agent. Toward the end of my 16 minute whitening session, I started to feel off and a little dizzy.

At the end of the session, the hygienist noticed I had a small piece of something on my tongue and removed it with her gloved hand. I immediately tasted something weird in the spot that she touched. Against my better judgement, I swallowed whatever it was and went along with my day. I'm not sure if she had some whitening gel residue on her glove or something else, but it tasted awful.

Not long after, my throat started hurting - a mild pain. I'm so scared that I swallowed some poison. I called the hygienist who performed my whitening and she said that I should be fine and that a tiny amount of the whitening gel may have been swallowed. I'm really freaking out. I don't think I'll die or anything, but I'm more concerned about brain damage from the chemicals.

Since then, I've been feeling out of it, trouble concentrating, overall brain fog and slightly dizzy. My throat feels better, but I feel like I've suffered cognitively. Could this be possible? My dentist assured me that I'm OK, but should I go see another doctor?

.Poppy.
31-05-23, 17:53
It's more than likely anxiety; if there was a risk your dentist would surely know.

I feel like most stuff that is designed to go in your mouth is safe enough for you to have swallowed small amounts. Obviously you shouldn't, like, eat toothpaste or chug mouthwash, but generally if you swallow a little bit you're okay. Swallowing small amounts would be unavoidable.

Try to relax.

Lizzy84
31-05-23, 20:47
Thank you for your reply, Poppy! I will try to relax and move past this. It's so hard to tell the difference between anxiety and if something is really actually wrong. :(

.Poppy.
31-05-23, 22:47
Of course! It can be a fine line, I agree. But you've spoken to a professional and they've told you that there is no danger. So now it's time to combat the anxiety.