PDA

View Full Version : Back and stomach issues

Mumbun70
06-06-23, 06:42
Hi,
Bit of background: have a long history of acid reflux, small hiatus hernia. Always had funny stomach” with IBS type symptoms. Had shingles few months ago, around waist and onto back.

I’ve been having mid back pain for a while. Thought might possibly be posture from desk job. Obviously consulted Dr Google who said could be many thing including pancreatic cancer.

Acid reflux symptoms began to get a bit worse, GP did lots of bloods and tested for H Pylori, which all came back negative. I am now getting what feels like trapped wind in my back. Sometimes feel it in my stomach too, gurgling etc. it’s coming out both ends. Seems to get worse as the day goes on.

I’m scared to go to the GP again. I think she’ll want a scan and that will send my anxiety to unmanageable levels. I’m already so scared.

Anybody experienced anything similar? Thanks.

ErinKC
06-06-23, 13:04
It so bizarre that you’ve posted this. I was just coming on here to look for folks who’ve had back pain with their reflux. On Saturday I got a horrific reflux flare up - the worst I’ve ever had. My doctor told me to start Pepcid twice a day. It started to work right away but clearly I’ve really irritated some part of my stomach or esophagus so it’s still lingering. The last remaining symptom is a band of pain across my middle back that gets worse when I eat. I had some of this when the reflex first started so I’m 99% sure that’s what it is. Whatever spot got most irritated is just radiating the pain to my back I think.

Mumbun70
02-07-23, 00:49
Anybody else able to offer insight? Symptoms are ongoing, although intermittent. Thsnks

dorabella
10-07-23, 19:01
I've had acid problems for more than twenty years - worse at times of stress or very occasionally when I've eaten something that doesn't agree with me..... Nonetheless, have been tested for H-pylori and had treatment in the last, but the acid reflux never really goes away.

As far as the physical effects go, like you I have had bloated stomach, trapped wind which you either burp up or which as you describe, goes up and down my back like (gas can go anywhere if it so wishes. Mostly its the burning feeling up my windpipe - accompanied sometimes by bile - and sometimes it takes another form like a cold ice rising up from my stomach. Very odd sensation. And of course the flatulence - yeuch! Have been to the GP in past and tried this and that medication, but ultimately the only thing that controls and eases it is Gaviscon Advanced. You can get it on prescription if you go through your GP but I just buy over the counter at the chemist.

Weirdly enough - and others may attest to this - cider vinegar and pickles seem to have a calming effect on it - I suppose two acid positives cancelling each other out.

golddustgirl1000
03-01-24, 00:38
I have this too- mine is where my back injury is. It started out being a slight pain in back when I swallow and now at certain times ( not all) when I eat I’ll feel the pain radiate to the stomach area.. it’s usually if I’m at a bad table or something that I tend to hunch over at. I’ll notice it coming on if I start to get full.. I have the instant urge to sit up straight or roll my back out backwards over the back of the chair.. barium swallow showed nothing… any ideas if your issue?