PDA

View Full Version : Does Anyone Have Check-ups With A Dental Therapist? Worried

One-Day-At-A-Time
09-06-23, 11:04
Sorry if I haven't posted this in the correct category.

I haven't been able to see a dentist for nearly two years, as my new dentist left the practise after just a few months. And, even though they have since recruited two new dentists, they are doing private only. (I had started calling other practices, but with no luck).

Then the other month, I was so relieved when I got an email, telling me the practice would be able to see me again as an NHS patient. I was given an appointment in six weeks time and it's now this Saturday.

I have just learned, that I'm still not going to be seeing a dentist but a dental therapist. They told me, this therapist can do the same as an actual dentist. After finding out they do just over two years training rather than five, this has me worried.

I had quite bad dental phobia when I was young and managed to overcome it, but the thought of someone with limited training giving me injections and doing a filling, is making me anxious once again.

Just wondered if anyone has any experience of this set-up at their practice and how common this is. I'd never even heard of a dental therapist until the other day, just dentists and hygienists.

ServerError
09-06-23, 16:02
I pretty much only ever see dental hygienists/therapists. I didn't go to the dentist for a few years and when I decided to start, I saw a dentist, and he told me that I didn't really need a dentist, just a hygienist. If you're having a check-up, a dental assistant/hygienist/therapist is fully qualified to assess you. The dentist gets involved if treatment is needed. This is just your dental phobia talking. Don't let it beat you. You'll be seen by a fully qualified professional who know what they're doing. That's all you need to know.