PDA

View Full Version : What amount of bubbles/foam in urine is normal?

Dobbiedoo
11-06-23, 15:46
I didn't realise this was a cause for concern until recently and am pretty sure I've seen a bit from time to time and never thought anything of it!

However, this last week I've been making an effort to drink much more water so have been paying closer attention to my wee, mainly to see if it looks paler (it does). However sometimes but not every time, I've seen small collections of bubbles/foam. Sometimes it looks like one or two white patches floating on the surface about the size of my fingertip which on closer inspection is a collection of tiny bubbles, other times there are collections of small bubbles around the edge of the toilet bowl. I understand non-worrying bubbles cause by the wee hitting the water will disperse quickly. I tried not flushing to see if they disappeared. About half did quickly but there was still a small amount around the edges 40 minutes later. I also read normal bubbles are big & clear. These are small & white looking.

I don't have any other symptoms and had a clear urine test about a year ago. Am I worrying unduly?

Google isn't very helpful in telling me what's normal & what's not.

Thanks.

Dobbiedoo
16-06-23, 08:27
Anyone? Happened again last night after not seeing it for a couple of days. Again, not loads, just a couple of patches of single layers of tiny bubbles/foam some of which dissolves but some remaining around the edge of the bowl ages after. All my other wees look totally normal and I'm weeing A lot due to increased water drinking.

Google won't tell me if ANY foam is normal. Really don't want to go to GP if possible as fills me with anxiety (plus getting an appointment is a nightmare 😫)

Thanks.

Dobbiedoo
23-06-23, 07:44
Sorry, still worrying about this and haven't had any replies 😕

Tried telling myself it's normal and I've probably always had it but just never noticed as didn't pay too much attention to my wee in the past. I've tried not looking but that's quite difficult. Plus nowhere on Google will it say if small amounts of foam sometimes, some of which doesn't dissolve completely is normal! It just says foam = problem unless it's big bubbles that disappear in a couple of minutes.

I have noticed that it hardly ever happens at work. I wee a lot at work as I drink water all day long and only once this week have I seen a small line of foam along one edge of the bowl (so once in about 30 wees!). All the other occasions have been at home. We do have a water softener that includes the toilet water, could that be a factor?

As mentioned before, my urine was tested about a year ago and all clear. I also had blood tests around the same time which included kidney function. Again, all good.

serith
23-06-23, 21:15
Out of sheer curiosity and maybe to help you, I googled it, and it seems pretty obvious to me that the amount of foam/bubbles that would constitute "foamy" urine is pretty extreme. There are actually a lot of very helpful pictures. What you're describing doesn't seem like it at all. I know we're not supposed to google, but in some cases, I think it's helpful, because something that drives HA is the inability to judge a minor symptom from a severe symptom. In this case, google makes it clear that truly "foamy" urine has an extreme appearance.

Dobbiedoo
24-06-23, 07:43
Thank you for replying. I'm sure I've seen the same sites and pictures and agree mine doesn't look like that, some of them look like someone's poured half a lager down the toilet! However, while I appreciate these pages aren't written for the benefit of HA sufferers, I really wish I could read somewhere that a small amount of foam is normal, even if it doesn't completely disappear, but I guess I never will!

Dobbiedoo
02-07-23, 08:56
So this morning I went past the bathroom only my son uses (we have an ensuite). We don't flush if we get up for a wee at night and I noticed some white foam floating on the top of his unflushed urine very similar to what I've been seeing in mine, but probably a bit more. I don't believe both of us have kidney disease, we're both fit and healthy and he"s a big strapping lad. So this is normal right and Google is full of shit, yes?!

Fishmanpa
02-07-23, 11:39
So this is normal right and Google is full of shit, yes?!

Sitting vs. standing can be a factor too and you tell me, what's Dr. Google's track record in the fears and worries expressed on the forum? :whistles:

FMP

Dobbiedoo
02-07-23, 14:01
I'm pretty sure my son sits down to pee when at home and defo at night as he can't see where he's aiming. I always sit down as I'm female......

Fishmanpa
02-07-23, 15:59
Regardless, its a non-issue IMO. If you're that concerned, see your doctor :shrug:

FMP