PDA

View Full Version : Who else has been struggling during this heatwave?

TaleOn11
14-06-23, 09:25
Over here in Scotland, we've had this heat for about a fortnight and since then, my anxiety had increased by ten fold. Not only that but sleep has been very difficult (at least now it has) and I feel like I could flood my room with sweat like Alice's tears from Alice in Wonderland

I guess we UK folks just aren't use to the hot weather as much. I don't know how people who live in the likes of Spain, Florida, Africa and Australia cope with it. Anyone else struggling with this too and any coping techniques to help? Thanks.

Darksky
14-06-23, 10:41
I think we all have. I hate it.
Window management works for me. Closed windows and curtains drawn during the day. When the sun goes down and it’s cooler outside than it is in the house, open windows and room doors to let a through breeze in. Least tog possible…I’m under a 1 tog. Electric fans. Also I recently filled a hot water bottle and froze it. Shoved down the bed it cools the sheets.
It won’t last forever…..

LittleLionMan
14-06-23, 10:43
Yep, makes me very uncomfortable.

Dry throat is my biggest issue, but my anxiety has been sky high lately anyway, so not sure if it’s the heat or anxiety.

It’s accepting that it’s just the heat and that everyone is struggling with it I think.

Doing the right things like drinking plenty of water along the way too.

BlueIris
14-06-23, 11:40
Very much so, yes. My aura migraines are back - I had two auras yesterday and unusually, both came with the accompanying headache.

I drink loads of water, keep a fan blasting and we don't have any electronics in the bedroom so that keeps the temperature down.

fishman65
14-06-23, 14:37
I'm not sure its the heat specifically, my anxiety generally reacts to events rather than weather patterns. Unless its the 'more people outside chatting' syndrome.

TaleOn11
14-06-23, 15:58
Nice to see I'm not the only one. I also finally decided to shut my blinds and windows whenever I'm in the room and its helping! I don't know why I'm so slow on these techniques.

ServerError
14-06-23, 19:58
Whenever we Brits complain about the heat, there's always some smart Alec from Texas or the Aussie Outback deliberately failing to see the point. It might only be 30 degrees, but our houses are designed to keep the heat in so when we get long days with constant sunshine, our houses take in all that heat and then hold it. There's no aircon to provide relief. I work from home and have a small aircon unit in the room I work in, but when I open the door, the heat in the rest of the out knocks me out. Plus, we're not really used to it. Where I live, you can go whole summers without it getting above 30 degrees. It's been sunny for weeks on end at the minute, which is nice, but the heat is humid and it can be hard to escape from.

Lencoboy
22-06-23, 16:13
Whenever we Brits complain about the heat, there's always some smart Alec from Texas or the Aussie Outback deliberately failing to see the point. It might only be 30 degrees, but our houses are designed to keep the heat in so when we get long days with constant sunshine, our houses take in all that heat and then hold it. There's no aircon to provide relief. I work from home and have a small aircon unit in the room I work in, but when I open the door, the heat in the rest of the out knocks me out. Plus, we're not really used to it. Where I live, you can go whole summers without it getting above 30 degrees. It's been sunny for weeks on end at the minute, which is nice, but the heat is humid and it can be hard to escape from.

Exactly, we aren't used to the heat that we've been having so far this summer, and also much of last summer of course. But on the other hand, many other people would no doubt be complaining just the same if this summer season was a total washout for weeks on end with overall temperatures much lower than our usual summer average; 2007 and 2012 most obviously spring to mind as being exceptionally wet and miserable.

I also remember being told that many of our summers back in the 70s were exceptionally hot and for lengthy periods of time (1976 in particular), despite finally being outdone in 2022 when we finally topped 40C for the first time in recorded history, but perhaps (and for better or worse) many people just happened to perceive things differently back then, especially as there wasn't the extensive 24/7 media that we have today.

Phill2
22-06-23, 20:14
It's a matter of what your body is used too.
Down here 30 is a warm day but because you guys aren't acclimatised to it it can feel deadly.
We're having a pretty mild winter down here with overnight temps getting really cold but the days are around 25 which is great for me.
As I age (70 in a few days) I've come to dislike the heat like you guys too.

Lencoboy
23-06-23, 09:38
I'm not sure its the heat specifically, my anxiety generally reacts to events rather than weather patterns. Unless its the 'more people outside chatting' syndrome.

Sounds like the 'association' thing; i.e, red hot sunny days 'reminding' you of certain anxiety-related events from the past, which can sometimes happen with me.

I can relate very much to the 'more people chatting outside' thing, especially those who have a habit of shouting every word at the top of their voices (even when not necessarily having arguments/confrontations), which really does my nut in. Plus yesterday there were quite a few people driving around near my day centre playing gangsta-rap music full blast with their car windows wide open when I walked round to the local Lidl store to buy myself a sandwich for lunch, which really made me want to have a meltdown (though I didn't actually have one).

The sound of vehicles with souped-up engines and/or exhausts really sets me on edge too. I mean, seriously what do the owners of such vehicles actually gain from driving these things? Just showing off how 'ard they are? Ditto for blasting out their car audio systems with the windows wide open.

Unfortunately I guess noise pollution-related events are probably well down the authorities' list of priority issues ATM.

LittleLionMan
24-06-23, 09:50
I’m having a tough time at the minute, and the heat isn’t helping I don’t think.

I’m waking up feeling like I have a hangover everyday, and then it’s straight into 20+ heat.

Really no enjoying feeling so uncomfortable all the time. Frustrating really when I used to like the warm weather.

Darksky
24-06-23, 16:40
Yes the heat is very draining. Cloudy but very humid here.
The good news is that it’s getting cooler tomorrow, slowly coming from the west.
One more night….have you got a fan on?