PDA

View Full Version : Constant Sense of Doom

Silverbauble
16-06-23, 21:17
Evening everyone, this is my first time posting but I have read the site for a while.

Although I've never spoken to anyone about my anxiety or had a diagnosis, I know I've suffered from anxiety for over 6 years. I've always been a worrier but 6.5 years ago my son was born prematurely, I'd known something wasn't quite right but the hospital wouldn't listen, it resulted in him being born by emergency at 32 weeks. He was fine and we stayed in NICU for 4 weeks but the experience was horrendous and I've never got over it.

My anxiety escalated as my son got older and I had my second child. I constantly think the worst, every sneeze, odd spot, slight temp. sends me into panic. I worry when they go out in the car, if they are running I'm visualising them falling and hitting their head. At first it was mainly around the children but a number of life events has made things even worse. I lost my niece, she was stillborn after a perfectly normal pregnancy, when things went wrong in labour. 12 months later my Dad was diagnosed with a rare terminal illness and died a horrible death 6 months later. Both of these were out of the blue so has heightened my anxiety even more and I'm constantly expecting the worst.

Last week a colleague died of a heart attack. I had meetings with him the previous day and he was full of life, just over 12 hours later he'd passed away. I'm spiralling from what feels like the constant horrible events that happen without warning. Tonight I was was supposed to go out with OH, a very rare event. I couldn't go as I couldn't leave the children, even although their grandma was going to be looking after them.

We are supposed to be going on holiday next week, our first holiday abroad as a family of 4. I'm a well travelled person but I'm dreading it and really don't think I can go. I'm already worrying about the pool, the balcony in the apartment, the children being snatched. Its horrendous. We really need a nice relaxing family holiday but I cant stop thinking the worst.

Lencoboy
16-06-23, 22:55
Evening everyone, this is my first time posting but I have read the site for a while.

Although I've never spoken to anyone about my anxiety or had a diagnosis, I know I've suffered from anxiety for over 6 years. I've always been a worrier but 6.5 years ago my son was born prematurely, I'd known something wasn't quite right but the hospital wouldn't listen, it resulted in him being born by emergency at 32 weeks. He was fine and we stayed in NICU for 4 weeks but the experience was horrendous and I've never got over it.

My anxiety escalated as my son got older and I had my second child. I constantly think the worst, every sneeze, odd spot, slight temp. sends me into panic. I worry when they go out in the car, if they are running I'm visualising them falling and hitting their head. At first it was mainly around the children but a number of life events has made things even worse. I lost my niece, she was stillborn after a perfectly normal pregnancy, when things went wrong in labour. 12 months later my Dad was diagnosed with a rare terminal illness and died a horrible death 6 months later. Both of these were out of the blue so has heightened my anxiety even more and I'm constantly expecting the worst.

Last week a colleague died of a heart attack. I had meetings with him the previous day and he was full of life, just over 12 hours later he'd passed away. I'm spiralling from what feels like the constant horrible events that happen without warning. Tonight I was was supposed to go out with OH, a very rare event. I couldn't go as I couldn't leave the children, even although their grandma was going to be looking after them.

We are supposed to be going on holiday next week, our first holiday abroad as a family of 4. I'm a well travelled person but I'm dreading it and really don't think I can go. I'm already worrying about the pool, the balcony in the apartment, the children being snatched. Its horrendous. We really need a nice relaxing family holiday but I cant stop thinking the worst.

I can relate to your concerns as I've often had a tendency to wallow in excessive bouts of 'whatiffery' and hypervigilance myself on various occasions throughout my life.

Plus there's probably a far greater chance of you winning the National Lottery than your children (dare I say it) ending up being the next Maddie McCanns while you're all away on your holiday. Remember millions of families go on holiday abroad every year (sometimes even multiple times) and return home unscathed without falling victim to tragic events. And I'm sure you will ensure that your children are well supervised at all times for the duration of your holiday, which of course MM most certainly wasn't at that time of her tragic disappearance.