PDA

View Full Version : Nervous about long car trip tomorrow

Sparkling_Fairy
22-06-23, 21:43
Really just posting in the hope that writing it off me will help me feel calmer.
I bought a new car back in February and I can finally go pick it up tomorrow. You have no idea how much I've been looking forward to this. I was so excited about it!
But my anxiety has been a lot higher in recent weeks than it's been in a long time.
And for the past few days I've been getting really nervous about this. I have to spend 5 hours on public transport to get there. And then it's a 3 hour drive back.
I've always loved driving. It's one of my favourite things to do. I also can't ever remember having a panic attack while driving, but for some reason now I'm really worried about that tomorrow. It's a long drive. My anxiety is pretty high all the time. It's a car I don't know at all. I'm literally sitting here with the nervous shakes.

I hate this so much! I hate that I'm allowing anxiety to take the joy away from something I've been looking forward to for so long! But I doubt I'll sleep a wink tonight.

spectrum123
24-06-23, 01:43
I used to get driving anxiety, but once you get going, it get less and less, happened every time. Now I don't get it.

Colin44
03-07-23, 09:05
I can relate to this, is it maybe being so far away from home and that overwhelming desire to make it back without having a panic attack?

I had to make a 70mile cross country trip late on Saturday night and I was in an awful state. I got a podcast on and tried my best to just tune in to that. I also made sure I didn't look at the time or distance or mile markers to my destination as that was irking me.

Carnation
03-07-23, 09:27
Me too spectrum. It was about 5 years before I got back into driving again. Even being a passenger had its issues. Both can be overcome if you keep at it, build it up, push through those feelings and allow the brain to realise that's its ok.

Carnation
03-07-23, 09:30
Sparkling fairy, with the drive back you are in control so you can make as many stops as you like if you want to. Have a bottle of water by your side, maybe some nibbles if you feel hungry but I'd eat well before you leave. Enjoy the scenery and feel proud as you drive back with your new car. You can do this. :yesyes:

Sparkling_Fairy
03-07-23, 12:22
I think for me it's more fear of getting a panic attack while driving, and losing control of the car.
It all ended up going ok. I was planning on taking a Xanax when I got there, I can usually handle public transport without. But there was a woman on the bus behind me with an awful smelling perfume, and about an hour into the journey that gave me a panic attack. I ended up taking 0.25mg of Xanax 3 times that day in total. Luckily I'm so used to them that they don't make me drowsy anymore. Though I was exhausted when I came home!
I wish I could've done it without, but I should be proud either way that I did it no matter what it took. It was a long and stressful day!
I'm on Propranolol now which is making me feel physically calmer. Once I can get past the fear of it slowing my heart down too much ('cause I have to be afraid of something at all times!) I plan on taking it for a drive a lot as I physically feel calmer. Back to Dublin at the weekend actually. So I need to get some practice in!

Carnation
03-07-23, 14:32
There you go, you did it. :yesyes:
If you had resisted the Xanax you still would have accomplished it because the panic would have passed.
It also helps if you refer to the PAs as just feeling uncomfortable and often a PA can be mistaken for high anxiety. You've done the hard bit now which is amazing. You should be proud!

spectrum123
03-07-23, 19:14
Well done.

If you keep doing it your anxiety will get less and less.