PDA

View Full Version : Mammograms

Pearly queen
24-06-23, 15:03
T.W. Talk of false negatives

Yesterday I came home from work to my mammogram results. It was my 3 yearly NHS mammogram and I’ve had no particular concerns about my breasts. I was hesitant to even have it done as I’ve heard so much about overdiagnosis. I was however delighted to see no sign of cancer was detected.

Literally about 20 mins later I spoke to a friend who has just been diagnosed with B.C. after also getting the all clear from her 3 yearly mammogram about 6 weeks ago. She noticed some issues a few days after her letter came through which she reported and unfortunately the news wasn’t good. It’s seems it’s been caught early and she will be ok I hope. I hope I said the right things by focusing on the early detection and I let her lead the conversation. We ended up chatting about all sorts of things as I don’t think she is ready to talk b.c. just yet as it hasn’t sunk in.

I know mammograms are not 100% accurate but really this shocked me. I thought her results should have picked something suspicious up. Yet we hear of women being called back and nothing is found. How often does this really happen?