PDA

View Full Version : Cutting MDF

wat143
25-06-23, 08:47
Hello. Yesterday I put some panelling up in my bedroom using an MDF kit - glueing it to the wall. I had to cut a 6 pieces to make them to fit the wall.
I had absolutely no idea that MDF was bad for you. I didn't wear a mask to make the cuts with a hack saw, and did it outside. It made a lot of dust on the step which I noticed afterwards and looked up if it's harmful.

Everything online says its very harmful to breathe the dust as it contains formaldehyde. I have been so stressed and worried since, about what damage I may have done. Does anyone have any experience with this?

Also, I read that it off gases for months/years and I just don't want it there anymore. My dad is going to help me remove it today, but I'm worried we will damage it in the process and release more dust/particles. It will also wreck the wall. I wish I had never touched it.

Please help me understand how bad this stuff is?

Thank you

nomorepanic
25-06-23, 10:41
I read this ....

MDF is SafeThe main concern regarding the health risks of MDF is the use of urea-formaldehyde adhesives as the bonding agent during the creation of the panels. Formaldehyde has been thought to have cancer risks. However, studies linking cancer to formaldehyde have not been conclusive. In fact, formaldehyde is naturally produced by plants, humans, and animals as part of the metabolic process.
Even so, most MDF production companies have moved away from urea-formaldehyde based adhesives, opting instead for low formaldehyde alternatives.

Lencoboy
25-06-23, 12:10
I read this ....

MDF is Safe

The main concern regarding the health risks of MDF is the use of urea-formaldehyde adhesives as the bonding agent during the creation of the panels. Formaldehyde has been thought to have cancer risks. However, studies linking cancer to formaldehyde have not been conclusive. In fact, formaldehyde is naturally produced by plants, humans, and animals as part of the metabolic process.
Even so, most MDF production companies have moved away from urea-formaldehyde based adhesives, opting instead for low formaldehyde alternatives.

Plus the cutting was done outdoors where direct inhalation of stray particles is much less likely (from all wood-based items, not just MDF).

wat143
25-06-23, 13:32
Thank you both x

Pamplemousse
25-06-23, 20:15
In my former employment some 15 years ago, some office furniture made of MDF was being routed and cut to modify it to the extent that you could almost chew the air, it was that bad. You could definitely *see* the dust.

However, I'm still here and I think the people who were working on it still are.

Lencoboy
28-06-23, 10:25
In my former employment some 15 years ago, some office furniture made of MDF was being routed and cut to modify it to the extent that you could almost chew the air, it was that bad. You could definitely *see* the dust.

However, I'm still here and I think the people who were working on it still are.

Absolutely. If MDF really ever was such a serious proven health hazard then it no doubt would have been banned donkeys years ago.

The likes of the Daily Express, Daily Mail, etc have seriously had a lot to answer for over the years for putting the fear of God into many of us over certain health scares that actually turned out to be unfounded, while often at the same time seemingly glossing over far more pressing issues that truly do affect us all in some form or another.