PDA

View Full Version : i need support, stepped on a small pointy thing, now afraid of infection

seashell07
26-06-23, 07:25
I am trying not to google. I stepped on a small metal pointy thing (like the size of a push pin and it poked my foot, it didn’t go that deep because i reacted quickly and it fell out without me having to pull it out. I immediately washed my foot, disinfected it and put a bandaid on it. When I first glanced there was a dot of blood, but then after I got a bandaid etc, it didn’t seem to be bleeding at all.

But, of course tetanus is going through my mind, infections….I got a tetanus shot in 2016 so I think I’m ok? All I wanna do is google for reassurance but I know that will not end well lol.

So instead I’m here and kind of quietly freaking out, I just need to talk to someone who understands. I wouldn’t be freaking out as much if it was a scrape but this is a small puncture so I’m just worried that much more about it getting infected. Also annoying because it’s summer and now I don’t wanna risk wearing sandals because I wanna keep it clean

BlueIris
26-06-23, 07:58
Go get a tetanus booster to be on the safe side, then you won't need to worry.

peg54321
26-06-23, 11:16
Tet vaccine covers you for at least 10 years. Personally I don't think you need it. I also stepped on something a while ago, a nail.. wasn't sure when my last booster was and my GP cousin told me not to worry about it!!! Anyway, my anxiety got the better of me, and I had a booster, and let me tell you, the booster was worse than the nail. Seriously you are covered. 10 years.

seashell07
26-06-23, 18:31
thank you both. i ended up chatting with a doctor and they said it’s “very unlikely” to get infected, and yeah since i had a booster within 10 years i’m ok. she just said to monitor it every 8-12 hours for redness/signs of infection

i’m not too worried about it now, but it’s just an annoyance since it’s summer and i have to worry about keeping it covered.

a year ago this would have completely shut me down, so i’m proud of myself for not completely going into a panic about it!

peg54321
26-06-23, 21:31
great!