PDA

View Full Version : Son with Agoraphobia

Bippyone
10-07-23, 10:58
Hi, i do believe my son has agoraphobia and has had it for many years. He really doesn't leave his flat and finds it really hard to get out. In fact i think he has only left his place once this year. So that must indeed qualify him as being agoraphobic.

Can anyone who is a carer too of someone suffering this condition advise me on the best ways i can help my son.

I don't live far from him but do find it a struggle to get out myself due to physical conditions.

Can anyone help?

venusbluejeans
10-07-23, 11:06
Hiya Bippyone and welcome to NMP :welcome:

Why not take a look at our articles on our home page, they contain a wealth of information and
are a great starting place for your time on the forum.

I hope you find the as site helpful and informative as I have and that you get the help and
support you need here and hope that you meet a few friends along the way :yesyes:

Carnation
10-07-23, 12:56
Hi, I suffer with agoraphobia but I'm now going out.
It's a deep inset thought of fear that is normally best treated with 'baby steps'. One step or challenge at a time.
Agoraphobia can be so severe that even walking into another room can have its issues.
There's a lot of threads on this if you look in search, maybe worth a read to get familiar with the condition is a good place to start.

PUGLETMUM
10-07-23, 13:03
Hi bippyone- I’m also agoraphobic - I’ve only been totally housebound for short periods a few times - but I do have a limit of 10miles I can go myself alone in my car - so pretty limited & dependant on my husband- who I’m divorcing presently :blush:

I can only reiterate previous poster - baby steps are the way - if he’s depressed as well though he could do with getting that treated or some talking therapy or self help books?

I mean he might feel like it’s ok until you mention it, it might not be plain sailing to get him better :flowers: