PDA

View Full Version : Failing to get sense out of hospital doctors about my father!

dorabella
12-07-23, 16:47
I wrote on my earlier post about my dad being admitted to hospital with pneumonia a week ago. Since then I have been called twice by doctors about my dad's condition (because of I have power of attorney with my mum over his medical decisions), and I keep getting conflicting reports which don't tell me anything apart from the fact that, as is to be expected with a 91 year old, the infection has weakened his lungs and heart. It seems they are going to discharge him home with oxygen under 'palliative' care, with all the doom mongering that the word brings to bear. They have given no particular prognosis or detail of what this care will involve.

My mum has basically - according to the definition of palliative - been providing such care since he had a heart attack 10 years ago. Just this time he is now dealing with clearing pneumonia from his system which is especially difficult for a geriatric person. What frustrates me more is that despite all the background information that my mum and I have given to the doctors about my dad's condition (he was perfectly fine when I saw him the day before admission) I get the impression that none of these doctors takes anything into account. The one that called me this morning asked me 'why was your dad brought into hospital? Do you know what is wrong with him? Thought it was rhetorical at first but who who knows..... the doctor on probing said they were not looking at 'end of life' when I pinned him down, but other than that it was like listening to word salad.

Anyone else had such experience with our (not so beloved) NHS? Trying to stay positive and get to the bottom of it and support my mum who is equally unimpressed with their performance so far.

Catkins
13-07-23, 06:11
They should have a care plan in place before releasing him I.e. whether he needs extra support etc, maybe talk to them about that?

I would say make a list of everything you want to know so that you can go in and talk to them to clarify everything.

dorabella
15-07-23, 01:44
Saw my father yesterday and today and have also spoken with the doctor in charge plus the Macmillan team about my father. Got conflicting versions about what is happening to him - earlier doctors said one thing current doctors say another. First of all they were treating him for pneumonia, but now saying he isn't responding to treatment - except for the oxygen. Palliative care now on the cards - was told yesterday could be a matter of weeks, another doctor this morning says could be a matter of days. The care team coordinator said end of life with a review period which doesn't quite tally.... am going mad trying to work out the bottom line with all these conflicting accounts. Yet my father continues with stable vital checks, is eating and drinking - just was very tired today and dozing

Can't say that the ward he is currently on is positive environment - all 5 patients in there were not too chipper today. My only hope is to get my dad home in a stable condition and see some improvement once in his home environment. Or am I being overly optimistic? Not expecting anyone on NMP to be an expert but none of this sits right with me.