PDA

View Full Version : Constant worry about anxiety

u0000998
28-11-07, 08:57
Does anyone else worry how they are feeling 24/7? It colours my view of the world feeling trapped inside my mind. I worry about how bad I have felt and how bad I will feel in the future. I know the more you worry the worse it gets but trying not to worry when you have felt horrid is easier said than done. A type of obsessive worry???

Anyone else carry worry/thoughts of anxiety round with them all day?

nanny
28-11-07, 09:05
I am the same, i worry constantly. There is never any let up my mind doesn't even wind down when i go to bed. it makes me sooooo mad:mad:
I can't see me ever being any different!!:wacko:

u0000998
28-11-07, 09:15
Thanks for the reply - it makes me depressed as well as angry! What do you suffer from? I have GAD and depression, am a 37 year old female, 2 kids, a husband, 2 goldfish and 2 cats!!!!! I live in the N orth East.

Jo

nanny
28-11-07, 09:24
I suffer from chronic anxiety, also depression. I am a 48 year old female, 2 grown up sons and a lovely new grandaughter:) married 31 years and happily so. i live in hampshire...down south.

js26
28-11-07, 13:18
i feel exactly the same as you .......constantly thinking about how i am feeling...even when im feeling good!. distraction is the BEST thing but thats easier said than done!!!.....Im female,28.

BasilCat
28-11-07, 13:30
Hi Nanny and Jo, I am 50, have got twins, almost 14 years old and have been troubled with anxiety since July last year. I have one Cat, a husband and 200 tropical fish and believe me I know exactly what you are both talking about. I live on the North West coast above Liverpool. I know about the constant worry about how you are feeling, monitoring yourself and the checking all the time. I know just what you mean when you say it colours your view of the world and you feel trapped inside your own mind too. And I agree trying not to worry when you have felt horrid is easier said than done.

But you CAN come through this. WE can come through this. Yes, it takes time and perserverance, a lot of tears and "getting back on your bike again when you have fallen off" but it is most definitely possible. How do I know this? Because I have had anxiety 4 times in 30 years and it has ALWAYS gone completely. When I had it 20 years ago and I came through it (with the help of a Psychologist) a year later I sent him a postcard from Florida to prove my point that I was normal again!!!

I got some good tips the other day from a person at this website. And one of them was to correct my breathing - I am breathing wrong it seems. So speaking to her on the phone, we went through the breathing exercise together and I have been practising it ever since. This is by co-incidence as 20 years ago when I saw the Psychologist, he was correcting my breathing too. Another thing to look at is relaxation, low impact exercise and distraction.

I have just been down town for a couple of hours. Was uneasy and unreal and didnt want to be far from my car but I managed an hour at one end of the town and an hour at the other by parking up a second time. Surprisingly, when I parked up a second time and went into the arcade, I was starting to feel a bit better, a bit more confident, half an hour before I had to go to my car again before the parking ticket ran out.

My main symptoms have been unreality, shaking, "electric" in my arms and legs, sick stomach, loss of balance and being tense a lot, which only makes matters worse. Plus I dont like to go far from the car or go with anyone anywhere as I would rather be on my own when I am like this. Plus for the first time ever, my driving has been affected by it. So I was doing well to handle 2 hours in town today. Especially as I am so tired these days too.

Do either of you suffer unreality or loss of balance?

Is there something you can do to take the worry out of your mind? It was suggested to me to play on a Nintendo Ds as they are very absorbing. But I watch TV, try and go out, do the housework, send e-mails, ring people up. I also try and get into my card making.

Anyway have a good look around the site and I am sure you will find it very helpful and you will see that you are not alone with how you are feeling. Far from it.

Love BasilCat

PS. Another tip is, I know, easier said than done, not to get mad with how you are feeling or beat yourself up. This only makes things worse. I have had to try and not beat myself up over this too.

u0000998
28-11-07, 14:11
Thanks for your replies.

I have had many reoccurrences of anxiety over last 10 years -probably 6 - but made worse after my friend committed suicide.

I do have feelings of detachment - more emotionally detached from what is going on around me. I do not feel anxiuos anywhere specifically - just all the bloody time. I am just constantly checking how I feel emotionally. The future scares the hell out of me when I feel like this. I must believe it will pass as it always has done - but that is easier said than done too! Does anyone feel like this - that this time is different - worse etc.

Warm regards to you all
Joanne

BasilCat
28-11-07, 15:38
Hi Joanne, It sounds like me and you are similar in as much that we have had recurrances of anxiety, although mine have been over 30 years. You have had it a lot if its troubled you 6 times in 10 years - so sorry to hear about your friend.

Like you again, the anxiety is with me all the time too. I am trying to tell myself that it will pass, as it always has done before. I am 99.9% confident that it will. Its just that its been hanging around longer this time than it has before and thats been another hard part to deal with, especially as I have got family now and this is bound to be affecting them. I know, its not hard sticking to the fact that it will pass though, is it, especially when you are worried sick and feeling rough.

I feel that this time is worse in as much that it is lasting longer and its the first time I have had family to cope with when I have been in this condition.

Its my not wanting to go anywhere with friends or family that I find hard to deal with too and not wanting to be far from the car. But at least I have forced myself to get out and about today.

How about you Joanne? Do you get out and about?

This will stop one of these days - then I, we, will feel like we have won 10,000,000 on the lottery!!!! Or at least I will anyway.

Best Wishes
BasilCat

u0000998
28-11-07, 15:45
Hi Basilcat (sorry dont know your name)

I do get out nand about and as I say - I am not phobic about leaving the house. I feel anxious no matter where I am. This time round feels worse for me in that The meds have not sorted me out as quick or got things to a manageable level. I honestly feel anxiuos about tomorrow just dreading how I am going ! The fact it feels worse terrifys me- what will happen to me etc etc etc........................

Most people feel anxious in particular places but i feel like it all the bloody time which makes me feel even more abnormal.

Joanne

geordie flower
28-11-07, 15:59
:) Hi there, I have been suffering from anxiety since nov 2006. I had a few panic attatcks during nov and dec but thankfully non since :yesyes: but I have been left with horrible anxiety. My symptoms are dizziness, off balance, my head often feels so full and bizzy that its gonna explode its a weird feeling hard to describe it wears me out at the time and makes me feel just yuk! :weep: I occassionally have like a sickness feeling in my stomach and i go off my food. I that alcohol eased my symptoms at the time but left me feeling twice as bad on a morning so ive cut down to weekends only. Ive decided not to go down the medication route as id rather face it head on myself. I too find that when i am having a good day i find myself thinking "i bet this doesnt last very long" im almost constantly analysing how im feeling and whether im better or worse than the day before. Ive got to reason to feel like this ive got a lovely husband 2 great kids and a job i like! so why oh why should i have anxiety! Well i suppose if i knew the answer to that i would be a rich woman ha ha ha! I love reading other peoples experiences it makes me feel less alone with dealing with this thing! Thanks for reading take care Tracey :flowers: x

P.S. Joanne - Im also from the north east

BasilCat
29-11-07, 13:35
Hi Joanne, I get out and about too so thats good isnt it and I am anxious no matter where I am too. So I know just how you feel. Sorry to hear that your meds have not sorted you out as quick or got you to a manageable level. I am taking Passiflora/Lemon Balm and Avena Sativa tablets to help as they are meant to be good gor anxiety. Time will tell. I dont feel anxious about tomorrow as such - I just keep hoping tomorrow will be better. Have you spoken to anyone about your fears, what will happen to you etc etc. I have asked the doc if the mental health nurse will call, just to put my mind at rest.
We will come out of this I am sure - its just waiting for that day to come isnt it.

Shirley

BasilCat
29-11-07, 13:44
Hi Tracey, I know where you are at with the dizziness and off balance symptoms - me too. Those and unreality plus some others which are more bearable. I have been troubled with this since July last year. Just told Joanne that I am taking Passiflora/Lemon Balm/Avena Sativa tabs as they are meant to be good for anxiety. Will keep you posted. Also I am doing regular breathing exercises to help. I know, reading how other people feel, does make you realise you are not alone with it doesnt it.

I would feel better if I could just stop feeling that I didnt want to go anywhere with hubby/kids/relatives and friends etc (whilst I am in this state) and also if I could stop feeling that I didnt want to be so far from the car. I suppose I will stop thinking these things when I start getting my confidence up again.

My balance is going as I am sitting here and I am having trouble sitting up straight! Time for relaxation/breathing exercises I think.

Take Care
Shirley

nanny
29-11-07, 19:46
Hi Basilcat

you have given some brilliant advice a BIG BIG :hugs: for that, thank you for being there and sharing:flowers: :flowers: :flowers:

BasilCat
30-11-07, 13:19
Thats ok Nanny. You can always PM me if you want.

Shirley
x