PDA

View Full Version : Pets, and anxiety/depression...help?

PaulaRubyLove
28-11-07, 09:03
Ok, so I have an anxiety disorder, and depression on and off. I've had a really hard few months with family problems, but I've been coping surprisingly well.
I love animals a lot- my pets are like my babies and usually when I'm feeling horrible they're one of the few things that can lift me out of that.

But now I have a problem- I got a Cockatiel (bird) yesterday. I've never had one before but always wanted one. But I have no idea how to handle this. She is SO demanding, she wants to sit on my shoulder 24/7, and freaks out if I ever leave the room and don't take her with me. It might be cute, but the thing is, I feel really really overwhelmed by this little creature needing me sooo much!
And everytime I look at her I start crying. I don't know why, but I literally just burst into tears. I feel like I'm going crazy, I must sound nuts, but I feel guilty, like I should love her as much as all my other pets, but I don't feel that right now.
I hope someone out there can maybe understand this or tell me what to do??? Because I am so lost....
I don't want to have to give her up, because I took on this responsibility and I should be able to deal with it. But I also hope she won't be negatively affected by me feeling so anxious around her....