PDA

View Full Version : iGAS fears

Expanickerpanicking
30-07-23, 19:51
Hey everyone. I used to have bad health anxiety in the past, but oddly the Covid pandemic kinda killed it for me and I didn't even panic when I had Covid a few months ago. But now an ugly thing has reared it's head and I feel like I'm back to square one. Damn. I thought my health anxiety was gone. Any way...
Last Friday my 4 year old daughter was a bit unwell. She had lethargy, white coated tongue and a bad appetite. It only seemed to really last a day and a half and then she got better. But the following week her daycare centre contacted me because she had "strawberry tongue" and another child in her daycare was confirmed with Scarlet Fever. I took her to the doctor, but because she had no fever or sore throat, and didn't seem sick at all, they didn't give her antibiotics, even though they said it's possible she had Scarlet Fever. She's still fine.

Yesterday, my wife started getting a sore throat and fever and high heart rate. I took her to the doctor today and they gave her antibiotics due to a strong suspicion of Strep Throat. They don't have Strep tests at our local doctor and said they can only be done at the hospital 20 minutes drive away. But they said there's no point because the treatment would be the same antibiotics either way.

But now I started reading about the increase in invasive Streptococcus diseases (iGAS) and all of a sudden I am very anxious. It's mosquito season here in Portugal and we don't have many mosquitoes, but we do get bites, so subsequently broken skin and little sores. I'm terrified of that flesh eating Strep disease caused by the same bacteria that causes Strep Throat. I am scared my whole family will get this an die.

So far I am still symptom free, but still very worried and panicking. This sucks. I survived a world changing pandemic, and my fear of viruses went away. Now I'm panicking about a bacteria that's been causing diseases for a long time. I hate this.