PDA

View Full Version : Hello from Chrissi B

ChrissiB
28-11-07, 13:32
Hi everyone,

my reason for registering on the forum isn't for myself but for my mother-in-law. For as long as I've known her (14 years) she's been reluctant to go anywhere new, eat anywhere other than at home our place or my brother-in-law's or go anywhere alone. Over the last 5 or 6 years this has got worse and she's felt ill or had an IBS attack whenever anything covered by the above list is coming up. Six months ago my father-in-law died (he'd been ill for 6 months and mother-in-law had been absolutely fine all that time and for the first time in years no IBS, anxiety etc). Since then her attacks have returned and got far worse. She's ended up in hospital twice with irregular heart beat and a pulse rate that the last time (Monday) hit over 160 and had the paramedics visit several more times.

We're worried... it seems at the moment that even the thought of popping out for a newspaper is too much for her. The symptoms are absolutely classic according to the info on NHS Direct (you'll be able to tell me if that's true) - dizzy, a bit faint (she has passed out a few times over the last couple of years), terrified of going out, heart racing, chest pains etc. She says she can't cope without her husband to tell her what to do (unfortunately, although it would be nice to have the option to be in that position, it was a very old fashioned marriage where her only responsibilities were to bring up the children and look after the house - she never dealt with bills, ordering fuel, putting diesel in the car or even for the last few years doing the weekly shop alone) and life isn't worth living (this obviously greatly upsets her two sons). As an example, yesterday evening her neice who she's always got on well with phoned for a chat but m-i-l said she couldn't cope with speaking to her - the panic in her voice was obvious and she was shaking at the thought.

Does anyone have any suggestions of how we can break the cycle of fear of attack causing attack and help her to cope with life? She's in her late 70's but apart from this is amazingly fit (we found her cutting the hedge a few weeks ago). One doctor suggested a short course of diazapam which m-i-l refused (I don't blame her on that one), another suggested beta-blockers which as she came home from hospital without them I'm assuming were also refused. Are there any books that might help her to understand what's happening? She's a very intelligent lady but at the moment can't accept that she's having panic attacks and hasn't got a major health problem - which I guess is all part of the panic attack anyway.

As you can probably tell I'm out of my depth on this one - I hope I've got my thoughts across ok, I'm very worried and know that this is going to take time to resolve (there's no such thing as snapping our of something this serious) and I want m-i-l to be able to regain some quality of life (and also, perhaps selfishly as we live almost next door and brother-in-law is several hours away, we'd like to be in the position where we can have a few days away - at the moment as m-i-l won't phone anyone for help apart from my husband it's impossible for us to have a break and has been this way for over a year now).

Many thanks for reading,

Chrissi

Believe
28-11-07, 14:05
Hello Chrissi,

Glade to meet you. I hope that you can get some good advice here for your m-i-l. I would suggest that you get this book,
Self Help for your Nerves by Dr. Claire Weeks. It's a great book and very easy to understand.

Also try to get her to join here, there are loads of people that will help her. Also have a good read on the left side of this forum in self help.

I can't blame her for refussing the meds. I have been on them and came off. You may want to check into all natural meds, there are some real good ones out there now.

Also just listen to her, will she talk to you. We all have to know that there is somebody there, even if you don't understand what is happening to her, I promise you she doesn't understand it either.It's very scary when this hits you, it comes out of the blue.

It also seems that she has always been around somebody, she has never been on her own to speak of, that's also going to make this hard for her. She was to learn that it's ok, this won't hurt her.

I know that is alot to take in, but she will get through this as will you.

Take care and keep hugging her and letting her know she is ok.

manmoor
28-11-07, 16:26
Hi Chrissie,

A big warm welcome to you. xx

Lindalou64
28-11-07, 17:29
HELLO CHRISSIE IM SURE YOU WILL FIND LOTS OF INFORMATION HERE WISH YOU ALL WELL......LINDA

nomorepanic
28-11-07, 19:35
Hi Chrissi

Welcome aboard.

Would she come on here and read some of the website pages herself or could you print some off for to read - I am sure it would really help?

honeybee3939
28-11-07, 19:44
Hi Chrissi

A BIG warm welcome for me too hun:) .

Love
:hugs:
Andrea
xxxxxx

Nibbles
28-11-07, 21:01
Hi Chrissi and :welcome:

You'll get loads of advice and support here while making new friends along the way.

Take care,

Mike :)

Pink Princess
30-11-07, 02:11
http://www.gregorygraphics.com/images/welcome_orchid.jpg

take kare xxxxxxx

groovygranny
30-11-07, 20:34
Hello Chrissi :welcome: to you!

Crikey, I think your m-in-law and my mother must be related - apart from the fact that my mum would never even contemplate cutting the hedge lol!

PM me if you want to chat:blush:

Glad you found us - pleased to meet you!

:flowers:

trac67
30-11-07, 20:47
Hi

Welcome to the forum, you will get a lot of good advice here and make some new friends

Take care

Trac xxx

Joe1981
01-12-07, 02:12
Welcome to the site chrissi!

Southern_Belle
01-12-07, 04:43
Hi Chrissie,

Welcome to the site. She might not have had the anxiety so bad when her husband was ill because she focused everything on him. Now that he is gone she is probably still grieving and the anxiety is back twice as bad. The sad thing is you are also dealing with an elderly person too. Does she have a Minister or Priest to talk to, that might help? If not, I too would suggest reading up on the subject either on here or the books suggested or if things don't get any better maybe counseling. Caregivers are always welcome here too. Good luck and let us know how things go.

Hugs,

Laura