PDA

View Full Version : Referred from Reddit: Any tips for helping me ground myself?

KuyaChristos
14-08-23, 03:35
Trigger Warning: Health Anxiety (parkinsons/carcinoma/rabies/insomnia)

Hello there! I'm a 35m that's starting to struggle more and more with health anxiety/OCD... and it's just making it hard to manage with my daily life and managing my youth onset parkinson's disease.

There's 2 things that get to me; 1 is a fear of rabies (had a similar instance few years ago) and 2 is that brain eating amoeba. Ex: I had (by my guess warrior ants) bites all over both my feet on 7/6 and nowhere else, didn't feel the bites, and that got me to believe that I might have had a bat or something bite me (sleep quality went down, anxiety/paranoia went straight through the roof). That in turn led me to drinking like 4-6 bottles of water a day on top of other beverages just incase of hydrophobia (it's like my mind says, "YOU NEED TO DRINK SOMETHING, QUICK" then when I do drink, my mind just races with similar thoughts about me actually drinking liquids :wacko:)

But if this can help anyone like how a doctor helped me, by the time you have any symptoms, anxiety and whatnot, you wouldn't be on posting on anything.

Day after that, I jumped in my friends pool during a party, and when water got up my nose, made me instant think of that brain amoeba (it's been prevalent at the lake here in Vegas). Heck, even yesterday when brushing my teeth, when I went to rinse my mouth, some water got up my nose and I woke up with a headache at the top of my head and sinus. Also been more irritable, bouts of confusion/paranoia about my health or being sick. It got my darn head racing again. My anxiety & paranoia about this has just been... shite for lack of better phrasing.

I have a therapist that actually does help with other issues, but health anxiety is my ultimate struggle right now. I can't shake it. I see my therapist right now for dealing with youth onset parkinsons disease (confirmed with DATscan 2 years ago) and confirmed myocardial infarction due to gastric carcinoma 10 years ago. When I discuss this with her, it feels like I'm lying to myself or making excuses when I try to reassure myself of what the cause might be. It makes it hard to distinguish if this is something for my parkinsons... So for the amoeba thing & rabies, I ended up going to the ER. The doctor said they just found their first bat in the main city that had rabies, but unless it was a coyote or something big, he's "99.9999%" sure it's not. He said the same thing for the amoeba, "Were you actually in the lake? we're you in the colorado river? If not than 99.99999% you don't". The amoeba issue bothers me a little more at the moment, even if I go through the steps and say,

-- "it's 105+ outside, the wind is blowing in the valley, that's why I've had a dull headache/pressure past 9 days. My AC is running nonstop in the house, there's probably dust. My sleep has been shit waking up after 1-3 hours, that's why headache and anxiety. The pain in sinus area or when its top of head is probably because it rained hard 2 days ago in the valley and stirred stuff up. My nasal issue is probably causing my swallowing to act up. Bruxism? It's my anxiety..." Even today, had some struggle writing and holding my phone, feeling off but I can't ground myself to the fact that in the past 96 hours, I maybe only slept 15 hours. My mind won't accept lack of sleep as the cause for this.

I need help trying to find something distracting or a suggestion to help get me copacetic. I can't focus on what I need to for my parkinsons. My pcp got me buspirone prescribed (10mg 2x a day starting) but he says my new neurologist might have me try something different because the first 4 days made me feel drunk, and this drug is supposed to take 3-4 weeks for you to notice something different.

.Poppy.
14-08-23, 15:30
Welcome to the forum!

The thing with rabies and the amoeba is that both are exceedingly rare and both can be prevented with just some common sense behaviors that you would practice anyway.

For example, make sure that your house is well sealed - which you'll want to do anyhow since that will save you a fortune on heating/cooling and keep all kinds of bugs out - and that will eliminate the small possibility of bats coming into your house. That would only leave potential daytime exposure to being bitten by a wild animal - but when you are awake you will 100% know if you are bitten, and if you do get bitten you can address it at that time.

For the amoeba - just keep your head above water when you swim in a lake. You won't find it in tap water or swimming pools as the water is treated. Unless you are boating or doing water sports frequently, this is something you can easily do and it likely won't effect your life one bit.

I'm sorry you're struggling - health anxiety is hard as is and it can be really hard for these illnesses that are incredibly scary. But both are certainly preventable and I don't think either is ever going to be a cause for concern.

It does sound like you are doing a good job of countering the fears with logic, unfortunately with anxiety you just have to keep at it.