PDA

View Full Version : Cruising dilemma

nomorepanic
17-02-05, 21:40
Hi all

Has anyone been on a cruise?

I have a great chance of an "intro" cruise for a cheap price but I am not sure whether I will like it or not. It is only for 3 nights and goes from Southampton to Guernsey and then France and back.

I don't really like boats but my mum assures me I won't notice I am on it once I am out there in the sea!

I am worried that I will get agoraphobic being out there on the sea and want to get off. Then I will get claustrophobic cos I am stuck!

I also don't understand how you get from the ship to the shore if it can't dock at the port - I guess that will be another boat.[xx(]

My mum said get an outside cabin so I can see the sea and that won't be so claustrophobic but I won't get an option of choosing my cabin.

Any comments/advice please?

Nicola

Meg
17-02-05, 22:30
Today I'd just go - but if it were time turned back a few years, I'd have some questions first.

When ?
How big is the boat ?
What facilities has it got ?
Why can't it dock ?

How cheap ?

I would have also had plan B - knowledge of the flights back from Guernesy even if I wasn't up to flying then - it meant choices.

It will also be a good challenge for you. lol

Love
Meg

nomorepanic
17-02-05, 22:43
Meg

It is a new Thomsons cruise ship so we get a good deal as "testers" before it goes live. You can see it at http://www.thomson-cruises.co.uk/

It is the Celebration cruise ship.

It looks big - 1254 passengers.

I can get a delux cabin for about £180 per person + I get 50% discount on that (for me only, not alex).

I know that not all cruise ships can dock in port (so my mum tells me as a cruise fanatic) so you have to get a boat to shore.

I thought about the flights back but that will be a very small plane and that worried me more lol.

I just don't know whether it is for me or not!

Nicola

pips
18-02-05, 12:02
Hi Nic,

Unfortunately I haven't been on a cruise so my advice to you is generalized but I can understand and sympathize with the dilemma you are in.

It's so difficult as you just don't know how you are going to react hey mate! I was like that on the train in Cananda I was all up for it (well sort of lol) then when I found out I couldn't open any windows BANG! That sent me into major panic mode!

I am glad I done it now. My advice to you would be firstly ask yourself if it's the anxiety putting you off or your dislike of boats? I think if it's the anxiety than you should try your best to go. (Feel the fear type scenario) You will feel so much stronger once you have done it. It's another achievement that you have made. I'm only saying this as I really try to force myself into doing things. Although it's bloody difficult at times LOL! I think it does help and make you stronger in the long run!

On the other side of the coin though everybody is different & it's not always possible I understand. Plus if you are not keen on boats anyway that probably has nothing to do with your anxiety. A non anxious person wouldn't do something they didn't want to do either & they would think nothing of it! So please don't worry if you don't go.

Will you be able to get off in Guernsey or France at all? Is there any chance you could get to look around the ship beforehand to see how you feel?

Anyway mate good luck with what you decide.

I hope you are well.

Take Good Care.

Love PIP'S XXXX

vernon
18-02-05, 12:17
Can I come with you?

nomorepanic
18-02-05, 19:53
Pips

Thanks for the reply.

I am not sure what it is - to be honest it is more the panic but I have never been on a large "boat" before. The last time I went on a ferry was when I was about 20 and I was ok if I saw the water but didn't like it much otherwise.

The only other boats I have been on are the ones on holiday that do "booze cruises" etc. Hated them to be honest.

This is going to sound really stupid but Alex and I went out on a peddle boat (on a lake) a few years ago at Woburn Safari Park and once we got the middle of the lake I got all panicky and just wanted to be back on dry land. I think that memory has stuck with me too.

It does dock in Guernsey and France and you can get off but then I am stuck cos I don't like buses, taxis etc so the most I will get to see is the dock lol.

I know it will be great therapy but I don't want to spend 3 days stuck and not being able to get back.

I will have a think about it and try to decide whether I am up for it or not but I need to book it soon.

Thanks for the thoughts though Pips - much appreciate.

Vern - of course you can mate!

Nicola

andrew
18-02-05, 21:59
hi nic,
ive been on boats before but not on a cruise. still i have a different opinion so i think i'll add it.
this is a 'try out' for a new boat cruising the english channel in winter?
if your not sure about the boat, have a try out getting some duty frees in france via ferry. if you're up for it, book a 5 or 7 day cruise in the mediterrian in the summer, theres alot of nice choices.
anyway happy holidaying ... tcx andrew

nomorepanic
18-02-05, 22:54
After extensive chats with my mum and myself I think I am going to book it.

I have to do this for Alex too - he needs a holiday and if I panic then I will have to cope with it!

I will let you know how it goes.

Nicola

lainey
18-02-05, 23:24
Good for you Nic!
Go for it! Think how good you will feel when you have achieved it and come back to tell us how wonderful it was.

Take care

Elaine x

bubbles
18-02-05, 23:40
Nic,

Well done on making that decision & I hope it all goes really ok for you, I'm sure it will.

Linda.

PS. Can I come too?? At this rate, we may as well all go--it'll turn into "NMP's Winter Cruise"! Mass panic in English Channel? Should make the national news---more recognition for us!

JPF
19-02-05, 10:49
Nic

Well done for being brave - I hope you guys have a blast. I've been on a number of big ships (though never a cruise) and I really enjoyed it.. I don't like the sea very much but there's something nice and solid about those big old boats cutting their way through the waves.. I'm sure you'll all have a great time.

All the best
J

pips
19-02-05, 13:11
Good On You Nic mate. I'm sure you wil be fine hun! You will have enough water for your bach flower remedy drops as well! LOL

Went I was on the train in Canada. I kept saying to myself this is for James he wanted and needed this holiday more then anything so be strong for him. Although i felt like absolute S**T I am so glad I done it! You will feel the same and Alex is great at supporting you.

Those pedal boats are totally different mate you don't feel secure in them at all. Where as you won't even realise you are on a ship with this cruise.

At least you can get off and walk on solid ground eventually as well. So if you feel really bad once you are on board. Just focus on that. Thats what I did with the train I had a focus as it stoped for about 20 mins a day. I knew the exact time it stopped and I was first out the door for some fresh air!LOL

When will you go?

Take Care,

Love PIP'S XX

FAN
19-02-05, 13:12
good on you nic you can do it!

fan x

Karen
19-02-05, 18:40
Well done Nic for making this decision. I hope you have a great time.

Karen

It is not easy to find happiness in ourselves, and it is not possible to find it elsewhere.

nomorepanic
19-02-05, 19:20
All

Wow - thanks for all the support. I just hope that there are still places available once I get to book it next week.

My sis wants to come too now with hubby and 2 kids so turning into a family outing lol.

We go on May 2nd for 3 nights.

I will let you know if I can book it and we get a place!

Thanks again all - you all gave me the positive vibes I needed.

Nicola

seh1980
20-02-05, 16:27
Good for you Nic!! I'm sure you will be fine and have a brilliant time. Wish I could go on a cruise..:D

nomorepanic
22-02-05, 13:03
Well I have done it :D

I have booked it now so I HAVE to go.

We got an excellent deal - 3 nights, all food included of course for the grand total of £204!!

What a bargain. That includes travel insurance and champagne in the cabin for my nerves [:O]

I got the butterflies in the stomach when they confirmed it cos now I have to go but I am not going to think about till nearer the time.

Hopefully it will be the best thing I have done in years![^]

Nicola

kate
22-02-05, 14:54
Ooooooooooooooohhhhhhhhh, Well Done Nic!! [^]:D

Definately too good an opportunity to pass up, and at a great price too!

What date are you going?

Lots of Love Kate xxx

nomorepanic
22-02-05, 16:11
May 2nd Kate

Yeah I got 50% off the price so a bargain!

Nicola

FAN
22-02-05, 19:07
great news that your going keep us posted on the run up to it

fan x

jo-jo
23-02-05, 15:04
Well done Nic!

I'm very jealous and wish I was coming too - sure you'll have a great time - can't wait to hear about it!

Love Jo xxx

"courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear"

mumof4
23-02-05, 18:00
well done nic i hope u have a good time and i hope u dont panic thats the reason why i dont go on holiday cause fkying realy scares me the now cause i have this thought that if i panic i cant go no where.

maybe on day i can take my kids on holiday abroad without thinking that.

Karen
23-02-05, 19:00
Well done Nic. I hope you have a great time.

Karen

It is not easy to find happiness in ourselves, and it is not possible to find it elsewhere.

nomorepanic
23-02-05, 19:16
Cheers

Taylor - I haven't been out of the country since my panic attacks. The last holiday abroad was 1999 and I feel that I owe it to my partner to let him have a decent holiday somewhere.

This cruise is a "tester" to see if I like it or not and then maybe we can do a med cruise.

I am not looking forward to it atall - most people are excited when they book a holiday I am very nervous and have no idea what to expect but I have to try.

Nicola