View Full Version : Jaw problems

Chlobo
26-08-23, 19:14
Hello. I haven’t posted for a while as I have been doing okay but I’m having an anxiety flare.

Since I was a teenager I’ve had TMJ so my jaw aches a lot on the left side on and off. I also have an uneven bite.
I’ve had another flare this week and I’ve been feeling around my jaw and I’ve noticed on the left side where I have the issues my TMJ really sticks out and is a lot bigger than the one on the right. When I have my mouth closed you can’t feel it but when I open my mouth it almost pops right out. You can see it by the skin on my face.
I’m worried it could be some sort of tumour and I’ve really gone down a hole. It feels very round as well in comparison to the right side.
Has anyone dealt with this?

Chlobo
28-08-23, 22:43
So it’s actually the condyle that’s larger than the right hand side after googling the name of the bone. I’m going to be calling the dentist and hopefully I can get an appointment.
Just not sure why one of the bones would be larger than the other. I can’t stop poking it which is making it even more sore 😟

.Poppy.
29-08-23, 14:34
I'm certain it's related to the TMJ - but it's good to have the dentist take a look as TMJ can get really uncomfortable.

ckelley116
29-08-23, 18:01
I was diagnosed with TMJ when I was 15 (27 years ago, much as it pains me to admit it!). Anyway, I have and still do experience the same thing. When I open my mouth, the joint on my right side pops out way more than the one on my left. It’s not that the “bone is bigger”; the joint alignment is just off, which is a hallmark of TMJ.

I go to the dentist regularly and part of the normal exam involves him putting fingers on each side and having me open and close my mouth. So while he’s definitely observed it, he’s never said a word about it.

ErinKC
29-08-23, 21:40
When I open my mouth, the joint on my right side pops out way more than the one on my left. It’s not that the “bone is bigger”; the joint alignment is just off, which is a hallmark of TMJ.

SAME. This sounds like what OP is describing.