PDA

View Full Version : Feeling dizzy but only in certain places...

Panda22
27-08-23, 14:39
I notice when i walk into a store i feel very unsteady, my legs feel weak and i feel dizzy. Sometimes i even feel a woosh where it feels like i'm really about to pass out, but i never do.
The weird thing is i don't feel dizzy when walking in my home or outside. But when i enter a store it feels like i'm walking on a boat and get dizzy spells.
I guess the only expanation for this can be anxiety? Or maybe i subconsciously breath differently when going to a store..

What can i do about this?

Jotia
27-08-23, 14:59
I posted about this the other day and after that spoke to a friend who said the lights in shops can cause it. I had a look online and there are 3 reasons this can basically happen. Firstly just plain old anxiety, secondly yes the lights can cause dizziness because led lights in stores flicker hundreds of times a second which causes dizziness in some people. Lastly something called visually induced dizziness can affect some people where your brain relies to much on visual stimulation for balance and because there is a lot to look at in a shop it causes dizziness…I reckon anxiety can also play a rule in that as it makes you hyper aware and focus on everything.

Panda22
27-08-23, 15:35
Thanks for your reply! I've noticed it's not in all stores, but mostly the crowded and big ones, for example the ones with lots of aisles like grocerie stores. If it's a shop that's more empty or less going on i feel a bit better usually

Carnation
28-08-23, 09:21
It's common with anxiety.
Focus on the doing of the shop and not on the place.
I normally take a shopping list which helps.
It's a horrible feeling but it does pass.

Darksky
28-08-23, 13:47
Excellent idea about the list. I use one for my food shop. For me it just stops me buying stuff I don’t need but concentrating on it certainly would keep your focus on the job in hand.

Carnation
28-08-23, 14:07
I still pick up other stuff darksky :D

ErinKC
30-08-23, 15:16
My mom and I were just talking about this exact thing! We both had some lingering dizziness after Covid back in May and we were just both saying that it gets worse when we walk into a big store. I was thinking that it was probably a combination of anxiety - worrying about getting dizzy while away from home - and maybe the visual stimulation - the big space all around you. My dizziness is the lowest when I'm sitting on the couch looking at my phone (really small visual field). Sometimes it will come on when I stand up and walk into another room, but only mildly. But it's for sure the worse in a big space.

Sparkling_Fairy
30-08-23, 17:31
For me it's definitely an anxiety thing. I sometimes feel dizzy in grocery stores, but not in small shops. I think it's 'cause I know I'm going to be in the grocery store for a while, needing a lot of things. In small shops I either need a few food items, or something like boots I need a few small bits. And a clothing store is really a choice whether I'm in there or not. But the grocery store is typically a longer trip. And that's just gives me anxiety