PDA

View Full Version : What false truths do you believe?

jayke
31-08-23, 10:13
According to epistemology (the theory of knowledge, concerned with the mind's relation to reality), something can only be true if you believe it.

At the core of the anxiety many of us struggling with are falsehoods that fuel that anxiety.

Being as objective as you possibly can be, what do you believe that you know, or suspect, is not true - that impacts yours anxiety?

Or what untruths have you witnessed others believing?

Lencoboy
31-08-23, 16:22
A few sad cases believing that the one current Covid sub-variant EG.5 is spread by 5G masts, because the 'G.5' bit is a backward anagram of '5G'. What a load of old pony!

But having said that, there's already been a number of false beliefs about 5G masts spreading Covid and whatnot pretty much ever since the pandemic first kicked off, especially that irrational craze during the spring of 2020 for burning down not just the 5G masts themselves but various other masts regardless of type/purpose.

My own personal 'false' beliefs are that I lived with various foster parents as a toddler who ended up disowning me and returned me to my actual parents because of my masturbatory behaviours (and in turn my ASD), especially as such behaviours weren't generally considered 'normal' for children at that age (in 1977-80 when I was 0-3 years old), though attitudes to and understanding of such issues might be different now to what they were then (both childhood masturbation and ASD in general).

I never actually lived with any foster parents nor in any care homes as a baby/toddler in spite of such irrational beliefs.

P.S, If anyone finds the subject matter of the third paragraph above offensive or objectionable in any way, please let me know and I shall remove it ASAP.

jayke
03-09-23, 22:03
I was thinking about stuff like 'I believe I need to drink more water than I do', and stuff like that. But hey, it is what it is.

Wow - that is a false belief, especially given that you thought you were disowned for masturbating aged 0-3 - that's pretty far out.

Lencoboy
03-09-23, 22:41
I was thinking about stuff like 'I believe I need to drink more water than I do', and stuff like that. But hey, it is what it is.

Wow - that is a false belief, especially given that you thought you were disowned for masturbating aged 0-3 - that's pretty far out.

I feel quite disgusted with myself as I often used to do it in inappropriate situations at that age which would have no doubt sent other more prudish and hoity-toity parents into hysterics and extreme hissy fits, especially those who had/have heavy religious beliefs and the like.

Also, especially back then, childhood masturbation in general was highly perceived as taboo.

jayke
07-09-23, 19:06
How old were you? Regardless of your age, you were a child and absolutely shouldn't feel ashamed at all.

.Poppy.
07-09-23, 19:42
I think my biggest is probably the belief that I'm in danger more often than I realistically am, but it's hard to give that one up since I have a need to be overprepared.

I think maybe another big one is that I tend to feel like I'm not as smart or as capable as I probably am. It sort of holds me back from trying new things, specifically career-wise, because I feel like I will fail.

Lencoboy
08-09-23, 08:18
How old were you? Regardless of your age, you were a child and absolutely shouldn't feel ashamed at all.

Mainly about 2-4 years old and possibly a bit older (up until about 6 maybe).

But at that age, it's simply a(n innocent) nice sensation and you're incidentally unaware of its sexual implications.

As for my nonsensical beliefs about living with various foster parents and in various care homes thing as a child and subsequently being 'disowned' by them all, they're kind of fabled 'parallel lives' that are actually 'all in the mind'. No doubt a subconscious sense of 'whatiffery'.

jayke
09-09-23, 13:55
Hope you're doing okay. At least you acknowledge it's nonsense - I appreciate reconciling that with your mind is the battle.

jayke
09-09-23, 13:56
Have you taken yourself out of your comfort zone, both from the perspective of perceived safety and career? If not, you should. That's where growth is. I know you know that, but it's always worth saying.

.Poppy.
14-09-23, 17:38
Have you taken yourself out of your comfort zone, both from the perspective of perceived safety and career? If not, you should. That's where growth is. I know you know that, but it's always worth saying.

Sort of? It's kind of challenging with my perceived safety because I feel most unsafe at home, less so when I'm traveling, so the best I've got is to try and make my home feel comfortable and enjoy it for what it is, when in reality I spend a lot of time wishing I could move somewhere else. And with the cost of living and properties that can be a really disheartening thought.

For my career, I did accept a promotion that will certainly take me out of my comfort zone a bit as there is a lot to learn. However, I don't have specifics on the position yet or even a start date, and I fear if it falls apart I may have to leave my comfort zone even more and start hunting for a new job (and what I would do I have no idea).