PDA

View Full Version : Another new anx/depressing factoid....

happyone
28-11-07, 17:29
I was looking at the SIGN guidelines for Bipoolar affective disorder today (Scottish equivalent of NICE) and I was so unhappy with what I found.

"The frequency of episodes and pattern of remissions and relapses tend to get shorter as time goes on and depressions become commonner and longer lasting after middle age" this is from a study done by the American Psychiatric Association

I have so much to look forward to then eh? Jeez.

Jimbo
28-11-07, 18:19
Hey Happy, :hugs:

I just had a look myself, is it the 50 odd page document you're looking at?:ohmy:

Firstly, I think they are talking about a type 1 BP where episodes are very long so I'm not sure that statement aplies to you.

I think what they are trying to say that usually the manic phases reduce after middle age and patients usually become more generally depressed than going through relapses of mania then remission.

From what I read about it in the past, the cycle generally slows down which makes it much easier to treat. I know that BP and BPD are sposed to improve after middle age.

Don't worry hun, there's plenty of time and you are an individual so who's to say they can't get this under control.

Jim:hugs:

happyone
28-11-07, 20:11
:hugs: Thanks Jim

I thought I had maybe read it wrong but could only focus on that fact and seemed oblivious to all else.
I am what the shrink refers to as having 'bipolar affective mood disorder' he has never classed me as I or II. He says people don't fit neatly into them. I have a book that suggests I have 'Bipolar spectrum disorder' or 'soft bipolar' these ideas are becoming more recognised as it is clear not many people fit neatly into classifications.
I hope you are reading it right and I have got it wrong. I will look again tomorrow and try to absorb the info. I might even ask the therapist at group tomorrow.
Happyone
xxx

Jimbo
28-11-07, 20:27
I think the main problem is that mood disorders have never been understood that well. Even the term 'mood disorder' is relatively new. All these things are being researched a lot these days and new theories and ideas come up all the time. Even the DSM IV is very old now. That document on SIGN is from 2005 and probably based on even older references. I notice in the recomended research part they are only just talking about effectiveness of valporic acids as mood stabalisers.

Each shrink and therapist is going to have their own experiences and understanding of these things. Like for example what you say about people fitting into the diagnostic criteria, it being more of a range rather than a set of exact symptoms that fit an exact diagnosis.

You know how much I worry about the future, I guess I have to take my own advice and say that things and people change. Who knows, 5 years from now there might be a 'magic pill' to cure all our problems. (Lets keep wishing)

Jim :hugs:

happyone
28-11-07, 21:22
I read this at reiki tonight

"If you can change what you are worrying about, then there is no need to worry................If you can't change what you are worrying about then there is no point in worrying"

Nice thinking. Made me realise that I want to be that sort of person, but I don't know how to be. I try but it comes so unaturally to me, whereas on the other hand, worrying is as natural as breathing.
How do we change a lifetime of habits? I did it to an extent with CBT, but I could only go so far with that. I challenge myself and use the skills I learnt there but some worry is so deeply ingrained it won't budge.

Anyway, going off on one...........

Happyone
xxx

Jimbo
28-11-07, 21:41
Hey hun, :hugs:

It's really strange you just posted this as it's almost what I was just talking about on the phone with my mum.

I was saying that some people seem to go through their lives oblivious without a worry in the world, I was trying to find a reason for that, and how I feel different to them. My mum said she wished she was like that, as life would be so much easier. Most people just don't even think about the things I do. When I say I'm scared of going to the council office, they say 'why?' like they hadn't even considered all the things that make me so anxious about it. Maybe I'm more aware than them.:shrug:

I kinda feel with this sort of therapy I'm trying to train myself to be less aware and oblivious to things in the world, kind of glossing over things with mental gymnastics. I don't think that's someone I want to be. So I kind of feel that this sort of therapy just won't ever work with me because of the way I think.

I used to wish I was 'normal' and one of the many 'sheep' that exist in this world but I'm not. It's kind of like there's a clash between my consciousness and the rest of the world.

...now I'm going off on one. I'm not even sure I'm explaining what I mean there. :shrug:

Jim :hugs:

Quirky
28-11-07, 22:21
Hi Happy :hugs:

I read it the same way Jim did mate if that helps at all. If the mania type phases get less and you are left with more of a depression I'd have though that was much easier to treat. Even if you have read it right and we are wrong, it does not mean that will happen in your case or you will not get this under control. Many people even with very severe BP get it under control enough to live normal lives, so there is no reason to think yours can't be sorted. I know it must be very frustrating waiting and being patient and finding the right drug etc though :hugs:

The saying you read at reiki, yes spot on eh! If only it was that easy though. My CBT lady used to say if you have a worry see what you can do about it, if you can do something then do it, if you can't then why worry over something you can't change - seems very simple and logical said like that but as I said if only it was eh!

I hope your group goes well tomorrow :hugs:

Lisa x

Quirky
29-11-07, 22:34
I hope your group went well today and that your day has been ok :hugs:

Don't know where to post to you at the moment as you have a few threads lol so have put this here :D

Lisa x

happyone
30-11-07, 15:02
Thanks hun,
I have started up my other thread again cos lets face it, I am not gonna manage this not posting eh? I might as well keep a thread.
Happyone

Quirky
01-12-07, 01:12
Oky dokey, will go there and have a look. I can't manage the not posting either but I think in general I feel better when I do post as it is the only outlet I have and I enjoy interacting with you all, so I am going to try and not beat myself up for it any more lol.

Lisa x