PDA

View Full Version : Absolutely petrified by upcoming test

Lana
15-09-23, 19:38
Hello all; in a past couple of weeks I developed very random itching, sometimes feels like crawling on skin, sometimes like real itching, sometimes stinging. It happens on my stomach,then randomly on my back, then my head...Since I suffer , obviously , from severe HA, I put that together with my elevated blood pressure ( actually jumps up and down, like it would be 136/85, and then in the evening sometimes 109/65 - totally crazy), and I now think that I may be getting Polycythemia Vera which my mother had! Hers lasted for many years, but got progressively worse, and turned into myelofibrosis, which is a rare blood cancer.

Now, when she was treated long ago, I asked her hematologist if this was hereditary, and he clearly said No. I checked on reputable medical websites and it is not considered hereditary. But my last bloodwork was 2 and a half years ago ( was completely normal at the time). It is pretty unlikely that I would develop true symptoms within this period, because, polycythemia vera is usually discovered from a routine blood test - what I am trying to say is that it can exist for years with no symptoms, and my last blood tests did not show it.

But know I think I have other symptoms - do not even want to mention them. Also, I am 62 which does not help.

I have appointment next Thursday, September 21st. I cannot sleep, and I am in a complete panic mode, truly, truly scared. Very hard to function. Just want some comforting words and prayers for me for next Thursday. Thank you for reading.

melie1818
18-09-23, 18:21
Hello all; in a past couple of weeks I developed very random itching, sometimes feels like crawling on skin, sometimes like real itching, sometimes stinging. It happens on my stomach,then randomly on my back, then my head...Since I suffer , obviously , from severe HA, I put that together with my elevated blood pressure ( actually jumps up and down, like it would be 136/85, and then in the evening sometimes 109/65 - totally crazy), and I now think that I may be getting Polycythemia Vera which my mother had! Hers lasted for many years, but got progressively worse, and turned into myelofibrosis, which is a rare blood cancer.

Now, when she was treated long ago, I asked her hematologist if this was hereditary, and he clearly said No. I checked on reputable medical websites and it is not considered hereditary. But my last bloodwork was 2 and a half years ago ( was completely normal at the time). It is pretty unlikely that I would develop true symptoms within this period, because, polycythemia vera is usually discovered from a routine blood test - what I am trying to say is that it can exist for years with no symptoms, and my last blood tests did not show it.

But know I think I have other symptoms - do not even want to mention them. Also, I am 62 which does not help.

I have appointment next Thursday, September 21st. I cannot sleep, and I am in a complete panic mode, truly, truly scared. Very hard to function. Just want some comforting words and prayers for me for next Thursday. Thank you for reading.

I haven’t got any advice but from what you’ve said I’m sure you will be okay. I know how scary it is waiting for appointments but all you can do is take one day at a time. Thinking of you and sending positive thoughts.

Lana
19-09-23, 15:17
Dear Melie,

Thank you so much for saying something , because I also felt sad that nobody had a single word for me.

I have been in utmost panic , not able to sleep at this point, and connecting various symptoms that I think I have, with my late mom's illness, which , by the way, is very rare and , as they say, not hereditary. But I cannot tell now what is real and what is not, do I really have palmar and plantar erythema (red soles of my feet and redish palms) or is it sort of normal for me, and so on... My appointment is on Thursday afternoon. I am dreading the blood test results, but I have no choice. Also, my doctor is very good and experienced internist, so I am hoping he will give me some reassurance.

In any case, it is very nice that you replied to my initial post. Wish me luck!

melie1818
19-09-23, 20:37
I know how you feel. The forum is a lot quieter than it used to be so it can feel a bit lonely.

Its positive that you have a doctor that’s really experienced so you know you’re in safe hands. Waiting for test results is the worst. I find the best thing is to keep as busy as possible so you don’t have as much time to think (although easier said than done!)

Hope that everything goes okay, good luck x