PDA

View Full Version : Low respiratory rate

Sparkling_Fairy
21-09-23, 00:10
Has anyone else had this?
I just bought a new smart watch. And it came with the Google fit app. It had an option to measure my respiratory rate and having no idea what it was, I tried it. It said I had a respiratory rate of 6. The normal range for an adult is 12 - 20!
So I googled how to measure it myself. And again I came out at 6! I then watched a YouTube video of how to do it, and the guy was breathing so much faster than me! And he had 20.
But even if I try actively to breathe faster, the most I can get to is 10.

I don't know if it's a side effect of my Propranolol (although I don't see it listed anywhere) or if I've just trained myself to slow my breathing down so much over the years to calm my anxiety that I now naturally breathe slower.
But I'm kinda freaking out about it. 6 seems really low

Fishmanpa
21-09-23, 01:16
Delete the app from the watch. Simple as that!

FMP.

Carnation
21-09-23, 10:23
I'm tending to agree with FMP on this one.
That App will drive you insane with constantly checking and worrying.
The meds will alter your breathing pattern for a much calmer rate, that's obvious.
Apps and home machines are not reliable.
I through my bp machine away as it was driving me to the point of an emotional mess.
If you are still concerned then have a check with a doctor. x

Sparkling_Fairy
21-09-23, 12:47
Yeah, I was thinking about this more last night and it has to be the medication. I've actually noticed for a few months now that my breathing is quite calm. So this isn't new since today.
I also have no symptoms from it whatsoever. I breathe quite deeply so I'm pretty sure I'm getting enough oxygen, I'm just breathing less often.
I'm still on vacation, so can't visit my GP. But I have to get my prescriptions renewed in October anyway, I think I'll just have a chat about it with him then.

Carnation
21-09-23, 13:34
I think that's a good plan. x

Deepseathree
26-09-23, 02:31
Delete the app from the watch. Simple as that!

FMP.

This is unrelated to the post, but I’ve tried figuring the meaning behind you username for awhile, and then it was so obvious. It wouldn’t happen to be about Fishman PA systems would it?