PDA

View Full Version : Newly Diagnosed T1 diabetic terrified of pancreatic cancer

disgruntledbis0n
08-10-23, 22:43
Hi all,

Been a long time since I was here! Managed to keep my HA in check for a long while after going to urgent care for some marks I thought were sepsis. Needless to say, once the nurse told me they were light scratches I'd done in my sleep after a 6 hour wait that gave me the kick to channel this horrible energy elsewhere.

Since then I've been in relatively good health, until around winter last year where I was diagnosed as a Type 1 diabetic. Interestingly, T1 was never one of the million things I worried myself to death over, wrongly believing that it was a 'juvenile' disease. Also, for anyone currently worrying about T1, you absolutely should not be - I had copious symptoms that really only pointed in one direction. I'm talking dramatic weight loss (2st in a matter of months), permanent dry mouth, thrush issues, constant urination etc. Your body would 100% tell you if you were T1, so don't be triggered by this post as the symptoms are incredibly obvious.

Anyway, on to my current worry - I am absolutely terrified of pancreatic cancer. I am 28 and know that it is rare, but the T1 diagnosis kind of knocked me back in terms of my HA. I've had some GI issues (floating stools, gurgling stomach, indigestion) but the biggest concern is seemingly random bouts of abdominal pain that flare up after eating. It usually starts with a standard stomach ache before culminating in quite sharp pain right in the centre of my abdomen, above belly button area, that lasts for a few hours. I've maybe had 3 of these episodes in the last 8 months.

This has been going on since the start of the year and with my HA I just can't bring myself to go to a doctor, mainly given that PC has such a horrific prognosis.

I'd really appreciate any kind of feedback, or support if anyone is going through similar. T1 is a separate beast but I'm handling well (at last check my HbA1C is that of a non-diabetic) with huge changes to a low carb diet (less carbs = less insulin = less chance of being low or high). Any advice would be hugely appreciated.

Phill2
08-10-23, 23:35
I'm 70 and was diagnosed T2 about 12 months ago and would appreciate any advice about diet or diabetes in general if anyone can help.
Like you I've lost heaps of weight (20kg) and would like to put some back on.
I wasn't overweight to start with.

disgruntledbis0n
08-10-23, 23:43
I'm 70 and was diagnosed T2 about 12 months ago and would appreciate any advice about diet or diabetes in general if anyone can help.
Like you I've lost heaps of weight (20kg) and would like to put some back on.
I wasn't overweight to start with.

Happy to help friend.

First, ask your hospital team to perform a c-peptide blood test. This will confirm where you are T1 or T2. If you are no longer producing your own insulin this test will pick it up, and you will be given insulin to bring down your blood sugar. They really should have different names since they are dramatically different, but if you are T1 you will be 100% insulin dependent.

Second, if T2 is confirmed, you can absolutely reverse it with a low carb/keto diet. This is tough to stick with, as it obviously limits carbs, but you can make great desserts with low carb ingredients (almond flour pancakes with blueberries are one of my favourites. I am usually very trusting of doctors, but their diet advice for diabetics is stuck in the 90s. You do not need carbs to live a healthy life, and my blood sugar management has improved massively by keeping to under 50g of carbs a day (they recommended me to eat about 200g).

Thirdly, do not worry too much. Any, and I mean any, complications can be reversed provided they have not gone too far with good sugar control. If giving up doughnuts means living a much longer, happier and healthier life I think that's a fair trade off.

Phill2
09-10-23, 00:11
Thanks for the reply.
I am definitely T2 and keep my BGL within limits with diet control but just can't put any weight back on.
I hate looking in the mirror without a shirt on.
I REALLY miss hot chips but apart from that I try to eat as many veg as possible.

disgruntledbis0n
09-10-23, 00:18
Thanks for the reply.
I am definitely T2 and keep my BGL within limits with diet control but just can't put any weight back on.
I hate looking in the mirror without a shirt on.
I REALLY miss hot chips but apart from that I try to eat as many veg as possible.

No problem. I would recommend eating plenty of protein and healthy fats to put weight back on. Fats are absolutely NOT the devil when it comes to diabetes, carbs are, and for thousands of years our ancestors survived on what would nowadays be considered a fat/protein heavy keto diet.

Seasoned chicken, burgers without the bread, steak, go all out and balance with leafy green veg and cheese. Making simple switches like using full fat milk in tea/coffee will also help. Nuts are great for snacking on, as they're a good source of protein and fibre and pack a lot of calories.

Phill2
09-10-23, 00:42
Great advice thanks.
How do you deal with the dry mouth?
It drives me insane

disgruntledbis0n
09-10-23, 00:55
Great advice thanks.
How do you deal with the dry mouth?
It drives me insane

Weirdly I got into the habit of drinking sparkling water! Hated it at first but after a few days it grows on you. Satisfies any desire you have for soda, the good brands are full of minerals and it keeps you hydrated. Win all round.

Phill2
09-10-23, 01:41
I don't mind sparkling spring water.
I'll give it a try.
Does it increase night time urination?
It's so much better talking to another sufferer than searching for answers.

disgruntledbis0n
09-10-23, 02:08
I don't mind sparkling spring water.
I'll give it a try.
Does it increase night time urination?
It's so much better talking to another sufferer than searching for answers.

As long as BGL are stable I've never had an issue!

Also I try to think of T1 as a responsibility rather than some disease, which helps mentally. It has hugely improved my physical health, and now I'm much more careful about finding good, natural food to eat, as well as exercise. Being T2 you are slightly different, of course, but I've met plenty who used it as a springboard to become the healthiest they've been in years.

Phill2
09-10-23, 02:20
Great news but unfortunately due to other issues exercise is out of the question for me

whoisthis
12-10-23, 19:43
hi disgruntled.. i understand your fears. I am going through some kind of same thing. my pain is more just below my right ribs.. i recognize this I've had some GI issues (floating stools, gurgling stomach, indigestion) but the biggest concern is seemingly random bouts of abdominal pain that flare up after eating. a lot. the latter is what worries me as well. i can get a flare up out of nowhere after eating. my bowels will start cramping and i need to go to the toilet, quickly.. almost always still solid stools.. but often 15-45 minutes after eating anything. never found one particular thing. after such flare up this gurgling, noise, indigestion, cramps and pain will be there for weeks, slowly subside and then somewhere , weeks later..BOOM all over again. wish i knew why and what! GP so far says IBS, but..do i believe that, accept that? without really any tests so far... very hard! So i hear ya and feel for ya. Eventually going to a doctor is maybe the best you can do. (trust me i know of the fear of the worst and therefore not going to the doctors.. i still sometimes go through that or when i go, the answer seems not really helping because the lack of tests and so on... thats the difficult part for me. i know too much of the human body, studied a lot myself and thats often is not helping LOL)