PDA

View Full Version : Hip pain

pb
21-10-23, 01:08
I've got really bad hip pain. It started off as just morning stiffness, but now I've got pain in both my hips, knees and back.
It's got worse really quickly. I've had similar in the past. I'm 60 now and really worried its arthritis and I will need hip replacements!!
I've been so stressed recently, I was once told it may be fibromyalgia, but I don't know.
My elbows and shoulders hurt aswell.
I cant face going to my gp!!

BlueIris
21-10-23, 05:02
Nobody here can diagnose you; it's up to you to decide whether it's more scary to live with the pain and fear or to see a GP.

No shade, it's a question I ask myself about various things on a regular basis. If the pain and/or fear are debilitating enough, I put my big girl pants on and see a GP; if not, I work on dismissing the fear and remind myself of my choices.

Phill2
21-10-23, 06:27
Great advice Blue
I thought I had a hernia at about 60 and went to see my gp

Turned out to be my hip
Been Good ever since

pb
21-10-23, 08:33
I'm in so much pain, I will have to try to get myself to the gp.

swajj
21-10-23, 10:06
It could be hip bursitis. I had hip pain for months and it turned out to be a pinched nerve in my back. It eventually resolved itself.

pb
24-10-23, 14:37
I've booked a drs appointment, but it's not until November, the earliest I could get.
My friend who has hip pain and has just been told she has arthritis, this has triggered me a bit, but she is 78.
I have had joint problems on and off since my late 20s. I do think I may have fibromyalgia.
I think I need to have an xray of my hips.
Also I've just looked after my brothers kids for 4 days and I didn't even get a "Thank you". Sorry this is totally unrelated, but I just feel so numb with everything.

pb
08-11-23, 20:31
My hips are so painful.
I've been looking at my posts, I have had hip pain before. My fear of going to the drs is quite bad at the moment. I'm also getting over covid. I'm sure i need hip replacements.

pb
09-11-23, 13:30
I’m in pain and in despair. I keep cancelling my doctors appointment. I’m sure I’ve got arthritis, what else could it be..
My parents are elderly, I’m tired and feel that I have no future, but I must care for my parents, they deserve that. it’s so hard, I don’t know why my hips have flared up, I don’t know if they will ever get better. I’m just getting over covid. I feel so depressed.

pb
09-11-23, 20:16
I know no one can help, I.need to go to see my gp.
* I hope pulisa is ok, she doesnt seem to have been on here for a while, she always replied to my posts and tried to help **
I'm in so much pain with my hips, maybe its bursitis, but it's probably arthritis.

Scass
09-11-23, 21:30
I hope you find it in you to go and get seen. Living with pain is so debilitating.

pb
12-11-23, 14:24
The pain in my hip is so bad today.
I've tried a heat pad and ibuprofen gel and paracetamol.
I'm so scared I'm going to need a hip replacement.
I have booked another doctor's visit, but it's not for three weeks.
I'm so scared.

pb
12-11-23, 15:37
Just wanted to ask this, my hip pain started after my friend came to stay, she is waiting for a double hip replacement.
Surely my pain is real and I'm not imagining this !!

pb
17-11-23, 12:09
My hip keeps feeling like it's coming out of its socket when I walk.
I know people cant diagnose me and I have made another doctors appointment ( i keep cancelling) , but has anyone had this ?

pb
19-11-23, 07:01
I'm visiting my friend who is going to have a hip replacement in December and my hip pain is worse than ever. Every time I stand up after sitting for a while, i get bad pain and also pain in my knee and pain in my hip when walking.
I'm so scared it's bad arthritis.
I've had this pain for four weeks.
Can someone please help..

pb
20-11-23, 09:30
Anyone ??

Fishmanpa
20-11-23, 12:51
No one can evaluate you physically here. You need to see a doctor TBH. The best help is the help you give yourself.

FMP

FamilyPicnic
25-11-23, 17:18
I suffer from bad hip pain, both sides (along with neck, shoulder, back knee and toe joint pain), have been for many years and have had many xrays. So far nothing bad has shown up on the xray except maybe some arthritis. (Interesting that different radiologists read my xrays different from each other.) At times the pain is really terrible, especially in the middle of the after lying on it. Walking can also uncomfortable.

I'm curious as to why you fear arthritis so much. It's such a common condition striking almost 50% of those over 60. I would be overjoyed to learn that my hip pain is for sure arthritis and nothing more. I fear the worst (bone cancer). Doctors have continually brushed me off without finding a real cause for the pain.

Most people with arthritis of the hip do not need hip replacements. One of my friends hip recently developed severe hip pain, could barely walk. He saw the PA at the ortho's office who took an xray and told him he needed a hip replacement. On his f/u up with the physician to go over details for the surgery the doctor found is was not his hip at all, the problem was in his back - I don't know exactly what it was, maybe a disc thing, maybe a muscle thing, whatever it was it wasn't serious but did require pt. So it may not even be your hip that's the problem.

pb
05-12-23, 07:33
For the last couple of mornings, when I wake up my hips and back feel solid, so stiff and hard to move.
I'm petrified, I know I need to see my gp, but I'm going crazy with anxiety.
I'm so sure this is really bad arthritis.

swajj
05-12-23, 10:55
Do you actually read any of the responses you receive?

pb
05-12-23, 17:06
Of Course NOT !!
Why would I, oh hold on a minute, maybe it's because I'm having a really hard time with my Health Anxiety at the moment.
By the way I'm not offloading, just scared and distressed.
I need to see my gp, believe me I KNOW THIS.
Do you really think your reply is Helpful!

FamilyPicnic
05-12-23, 23:14
What is about arthritis that you fear?

Fishmanpa
06-12-23, 00:27
No one can evaluate you physically here. You need to see a doctor TBH. The best help is the help you give yourself.

So what did the doctor say?

FMP

pb
06-12-23, 08:56
I think its worry that arthritis will be debilitating and I will always be in pain.
I need to help myself and go to my gp.
I have elderly parents to care for, I feel a mess mentally and physically.

swajj
06-12-23, 09:19
Of Course NOT !!
Why would I, oh hold on a minute, maybe it's because I'm having a really hard time with my Health Anxiety at the moment.
By the way I'm not offloading, just scared and distressed.
I need to see my gp, believe me I KNOW THIS.
Do you really think your reply is Helpful!

Of Course NOT!
Not the second one anyway. The first one was though. Did you read that one?

pb
06-12-23, 13:44
I read all the replies. I realise that the pain may be bursitis, but my HA keeps going to arthritis. As I keep saying I need to see my gp for a diagnosis and some more help with my anxiety.

FamilyPicnic
07-12-23, 23:41
I know you are very scared so the sooner you get to the doctor the better so that you can get to the bottom of the problem. There are many causes of hip pain, arthritis is just one of them. Is it osteoarthritisng you are concerned about?

I am in no way trying to diminish what you are going through but the reality is, in retrospect arthritis generally is not that serious. I know there are people who are crippled by it but that’s the exception rather than the rule. If one is over fifty years of age, more likely than not they already have it or will get it. But there are so many worse things that can go wrong with the body. Again, I’m not trying to diminish your fears, I just want you to know that having it doesn’t mean the end of a normal life.