PDA

View Full Version : Vicious Cycle of Ignore/Panic

Firehead
31-10-23, 14:42
Previously, I dealt with my GAD issues using the classic techniques. I had various psychotherapists and learned to deal with my problems satisfactorily. The main difference then was that I came to realise the majority of my fears were unfounded, hypothetical worries about which I would often catastrophise.

Now, however, I am in a situation (not health related) where the majority of my worries are based on a firm reality: things really could go wrong. I have checked my thinking with trusted people who have helped me in the past and they agree. Unfortunately, these problems are dependent on other people’s actions and so there is much uncertainty that is beyond my control. All outcomes are bad but some are better than others. So, far so “good”, I can put these worries into the category of real things that I can do, at least something about and there are things that I can do to help myself.

The problem is that I have taken to catastrophising about these new real worries and it is made even worse by the fact that they are based on truth. I find myself paralysed into inaction by the weight of these potential (imagined?) outcomes. I am extremely good at compartmentalising and so can give myself respite from excessive fear: I sleep well and feel reasonably well at these times. Nevertheless, I have to stop blocking things out and deal with the issues at various times. I find myself putting off addressing the problems until the last minute owing to the sheer pain of facing them.

How can I break into this vicious cycle of ignore/panic? How can I use CBT style (or even common sense!) solutions when I can’t stand to think about the problems?

Thank you,

Firehead

Catkins
01-11-23, 07:38
When I had CBT I was taught a technique of using a worry diary. Throughout the day when I was worried about something I would jot a note down and then in the evening I would sit and go through them and do the exercise to try and change how I felt about them if there was no easy solution. To be honest it didn't work for me in the textbook way, I adapted it to include a lot of reassurance because I suffer from quite low self esteem/doubt. It was very much about telling myself what I would tell a friend if they came to me with the same worries. I found that really helped and I try and do that now whenever I start to feel anxious about something upcoming. It is also worth doing self care as well, guided meditation, yoga etc, I continue to do them as part of my routine to try and keep anxiety levels manageable - I do believe they help me.

Firehead
07-11-23, 15:37
Thank you.