PDA

View Full Version : Did you know girls were legally married at 12 here in the UK?

WiredIncorrectly
06-11-23, 10:07
A lot of people don't know this.

In the 1100's the church created a law called "cannon law". This set the legal age of marriage for girls to 12 years old. Before cannon law was introduced, girls would marry at 10 years old. And it was only very recently this law was changed:

Until 1917, canon law had basically considered anyone above the age of 12 capable of marriage. Source: https://www.canonlaw.info/a_tooyoung.htm

It was perfectly acceptable, and was not seen as a bad thing. Of course, today it's bad. We have different values because this has been abused by people with bad intentions. And rightly so.

But it's interesting that this part of history is never discussed or brought up.

BlueIris
06-11-23, 10:11
Oh, that's HORRIBLE

WiredIncorrectly
06-11-23, 10:16
Oh, that's HORRIBLE

Agreed Blue. I didn't believe it at first. 1917 wasn't even that long ago. Hope you're ok. I'll be around the forums a bit now I'm back home :) Missed you folks.

Lencoboy
06-11-23, 14:25
Wow, I didn't realise you were referring to historical events and assumed at first that you were referring to some current 'scandal' in the news that I was unaware of.

But it just proves yet again that the 'good old days' weren't really always that good.

WiredIncorrectly
07-11-23, 09:54
Wow, I didn't realise you were referring to historical events and assumed at first that you were referring to some current 'scandal' in the news that I was unaware of.

But it just proves yet again that the 'good old days' weren't really always that good.

The catholic church still allows marriages at 14 for girls, and 16 for boys. The pope plans to raise it to 16 but hasn't yet.

Lencoboy
08-11-23, 14:40
The catholic church still allows marriages at 14 for girls, and 16 for boys. The pope plans to raise it to 16 but hasn't yet.

They still seem to be stuck in the dark ages in many respects, plus also seem to be a law unto themselves.

After all many of us Brits don't like change, do we (religious or not)?

WiredIncorrectly
08-11-23, 15:06
It's an odd one. I think the law of the land must be respected though, so the age is still 18. I'm trying to find out if any exceptions apply here in the UK. It perplexes me why it hasn't been changed by the Pope.

Lencoboy
08-11-23, 21:13
TBH, I don't really know anything anymore, as there's always been this hypocritical 'one rule for some, another rule for others' thing ever since I can remember, across pretty much all walks of life.