PDA

View Full Version : Dad

fishman65
04-12-23, 15:20
Just thought I'd post here but feel free to move it admin if necessary.

My Dad died this morning. He went peacefully at about 8 or 9 I can't remember. We had a call saying he was unresponsive, so myself and brother went over.

I was ok until taking his case back to his house. And we have about 7 of his paintings in our lounge so lots of reminders.

So there you go.

BlueIris
04-12-23, 15:33
I'm so sorry for your loss, Fishman.

:bighug1:

Sending love and sympathy.

Sparkling_Fairy
04-12-23, 15:34
So sorry for your loss Fishman! I hope you have a great support system! And feel free to come on here on the difficult days

Darksky
04-12-23, 16:06
Fishman I am so so sorry. He is at peace now. Remember I am here. Xxxxx

.Poppy.
04-12-23, 16:27
Oh Fishman, I'm so sorry. That's a hard loss. I'll be thinking of you. :hugs:

Carnation
04-12-23, 16:42
A big hug from me fishman :bighug1:
You might feel a bit stunned at the moment. Its been a long road of emotions for you and you were amazing throughout it all. My heart goes out to you fishman xx:hugs:

Fishmanpa
04-12-23, 16:51
So sorry for your loss.

Peace and healing thoughts

FMP

Lencoboy
04-12-23, 17:14
Sincere condolences to you Fishman.

fishman65
04-12-23, 18:55
Blue, Sparkling Fairy, Darksky, Poppy, Carnation, Fishmanpa, Lenco.

Thank you all for your very kind words. They mean a great deal to me. Fortunately days like this don't come along very often, and I'm thankful he lived a long life. 94 is a good innings by any standards, he lived for almost 30 years longer than my Mum.

And he's left behind lots of reminders. Our greenhouse, the lawn, his paintings. He always had to be doing something, he was laying slabs with me at 75. Putting up fences, laying bricks. He outlived all his peers.

But saying all that, I still can't believe he's actually gone.

Carnation
04-12-23, 19:09
It will take time to process fishman.
I know they will stuff to do but take moments for yourself x

Catkins
04-12-23, 19:21
I'm so very sorry for your loss fishman. Do come on here and share when you need to and try and share the upcoming jobs around the family. It's an incredibly tough time so look after yourself through the process. :hugs:

fishman65
05-12-23, 00:24
Thank you Catkins. And you too Carnation xxxx

Scass
05-12-23, 05:53
Oh I’m sorry for your loss Fish. I know how close you were & how much of a support you have been to him. Take it easy x

JulieJay92
05-12-23, 07:55
thinking of you all fishman xx

pulisa
05-12-23, 08:52
I'm so sorry, fishman...You prepare yourself as best you can but when it actually happens it's completely unbelievable..

I hope your family can help to share the emotional load along with all the inevitable practicalities xxx

Lencoboy
05-12-23, 09:09
I'm so sorry, fishman...You prepare yourself as best you can but when it actually happens it's completely unbelievable..

I hope your family can help to share the emotional load along with all the inevitable practicalities xxx

Really nice to see you back again Pulisa. I've really missed your presence on here.

BTW Fishman, sorry for hijacking your thread.

YoullNeverWalkAlone
05-12-23, 11:11
Hi Fishman, so sorry to read about your Dad,
i know how difficult it can be and my heart goes out to you, but we are all here for you xxx:bighug1:

fishman65
05-12-23, 21:09
Scass, JulieJay, Pulisa and YNWA, many thanks for your very kind words xxxx

LittleLionMan
06-12-23, 17:30
So sorry to hear your news.

Look after yourself. Take care.

fishman65
06-12-23, 19:42
Thank you LittleLionMan, you are very kind.

MyNameIsTerry
06-12-23, 23:18
Fishman, I'm so sorry to hear about your dad passed.

Whilst times are going to be very hard for you right now you need to remember just how much you did for him. Much more so than any other in your family. I bet he taught you loads and you repaid him with how you cared for him in the years he needed it. In time that will be more prominent than sorrow.

We're all here for you mate. Do what you have to to get through this awful time but don't let doubts upset you and don't run yourself ragged looking after everyone else :hugs:

MyNameIsTerry
07-12-23, 14:14
Something cute I saw on the news this morning. Might give you a brief lift :winks:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/articles/c72qgg398wqo.amp

fishman65
07-12-23, 16:07
Thank you Terry you're a top bloke :hugs: And thanks for the link.

Yes today has been harder than yesterday as we were running around doing stuff. I went on my walk this morning but everything seems grey and colourless. Its my brother doing most of the phoning etc today. and there's a problem that's come up.

Around the late 90s Dad and his second wife at the time bought a plot in the local churchyard. In 2000 his second wife died and was laid to rest in that churchyard. Apparently Dad paid for himself to be buried in that plot too. However, my brother has been in contact with the council responsible for that church, and there's no record of any transaction regarding Dad's plot.

They said the church warden of that time died in 2006. And the late 90s/early 00s were a time when the internet was very much in its infancy. So would any evidence be on paper only? And if it has been lost, there will be no proof he ever bought it.

Carnation
07-12-23, 17:09
It sounds like you would need something in writing to prove it or a recorded of payment fishman x

Darksky
07-12-23, 18:15
I would guess his bank would be the first call via the executor of his estate. They must have all his historic transactions.

Carnation
07-12-23, 18:16
Good thinking darksky

MyNameIsTerry
07-12-23, 23:34
They issue a grave or burial deed. Hopefully your dad has stored it somewhere so the executors can take control of the plot since it forms part of the estate.

Maybe a trawl of church records will turn up evidence of a purchase especially if they look for his second wife's.

fishman65
09-12-23, 20:53
Hi guys and thank you all for your advice and suggestions. It means a great deal to me.

Well nobody can find anything regarding the purchased plot. My nephew has been looking into it, not literally. But the current church warden can't find anything relating to a purchase. The previous warden died about 15 years ago and it would appear he either didn't record it or he lost any record he made.

My nephew phoned my Dad's step daughter but she has no record either. So, nephew asked her if my Dad could be buried in the same plot as his wife at the time. Are you with me so far? Well step daughter agreed he could but he'd have to be cremated, not buried.

So...... its now looking like a lost cause and we may end up burying him in a different cemetery closer to home. Bear in mind these were days before the internet, or at least was in its infancy.

Back home and a splitting head ache still.

MyNameIsTerry
10-12-23, 08:32
I think that's a condition of a spousal agreement, Fishman. I seem to recall reading that it had to be after cremation.

Like you need hassle like this at such a time.

fishman65
10-12-23, 14:24
Thanks Terry that could well be a big help. I've just put it on the WhatsApp group chat.

Tbh my Dad and second wife only lived in that village between 1995 and 2002. And second wife died in Jan 2000, so barely 5 years for her and 7 at the most for Dad. Its a small village with a small churchyard. There are most likely families going back a long way there that could object.

Darksky
11-01-24, 21:25
Sending Fishman love and strength for tomorrow, the day of his Dads funeral. A day for gentle remembering and goodbyes. :hugs:

.Poppy.
11-01-24, 21:48
:hugs:

Carnation
12-01-24, 00:14
I will be thinking of you tomorrow :hugs:

Pkstracy
12-01-24, 03:15
Sending you hugs Fish...I am so sorry.

pulisa
12-01-24, 08:11
:hugs:

Sending you strength to get through the day and I'm sure you'll do him proud.

fishman65
12-01-24, 10:55
Darksky, Poppy, Carnation, Pkstracy and Pulisa :hugs: Thank you so much you lovely ladies xxxxx

Suit is on, taxi will be here at 12-25

Carnation
12-01-24, 11:19
You find extra strength on days like these.
Stand proud fishman, we are all thinking of you. :hugs:

MyNameIsTerry
12-01-24, 14:44
Best wishes for today, fishman. I hope you get a minute to share your poem privately with your dad, as I'm sure he would love. :hugs:

YoullNeverWalkAlone
12-01-24, 19:37
Hi Fishman...

Just to let you know you where in my thoughts today, I know just how hard the day can be, you need the strength of Hercules to get through it, but you
have been a tower of strength all the way through all the heartache but still managed to keep your sense of humour, so proud of you....:bighug1:

fishman65
12-01-24, 21:09
Thank you so much Carnation, Terry and YNWA. :hugs:Well its all done. The service at the church, then up to the cemetery followed by the wake at a local club. The interment was the most difficult part, give me a cremation any day.

The memory board created by my nephew didn't contain a single picture of me, despite there being many family photos. I came along too late, being 13, 11 and 7.5 years younger than my siblings.

LittleLionMan
12-01-24, 22:12
Sorry to hear your sad news, Fishman.

Take care of yourself.

fishman65
13-01-24, 14:29
Thank you LittleLionMan