PDA

View Full Version : Dementia worries again!! 39

willous1
05-12-23, 20:54
Hi all, around 10 years ago I went through this and now again! I am stressed at the moment and have some stuff going on but I’ve started googling obsessively and cannot help it. Earlier a dog come up to me with its owner and the owner apologised for some reason! The dog had a great collar on however when I went to say great….i forgot the word collar and the owner said the word for me! I’m now panicking, why would I forget such a simple word. There has been a couple of times in the last couple of days I’ve been a bit hesitant with words and I’m panicking. I keep testing myself and remember a number plate from an hour ago but did this test where 8 numbers quickly pop up in order then you have to type them in, I didn’t remember every time but it does come up quick. I’m 39 and ruined my life 10 years ago with this, I can’t let it happen again! Google says dementia is becoming more common in 30s

willous1
06-12-23, 08:32
I haven’t slept

swajj
06-12-23, 10:01
You don’t have Dementia. My friend has dementia and her first symptoms were very distinct personality changes. She is or was a psychologist. For what it’s worth, she was diagnosed years ago and is coping very well. Have you heard that old saying about alzheimers? That is, with alzheimers you don’t just forget where you left your car keys but rather that you even own a car. Think about it.

willous1
06-12-23, 10:09
It just overtook my life years ago and ruined me really! Now I have the same thoughts back but I am 10 years older now. I keep thinking about it and words! I keep testing myself on things too.

Thank you for your message though, this website literally saved my life years back. I know they say reassurance is not always the best thing with anxiety but I find it hard to talk to people about things at home etc. This place stops me from spiralling and going to Dr Google. The problem I find is, the more you think about it and worry, the more you are going to stress and forget things.

Google is awful! I swear it's just there to scare you! I slipped and googled yesterday and there are no real stats about dementia in the 30s etc. They don't go into detail about whether or not most cases are hereditary etc...it just highlights that it can happen. I feel really emotional. I don't know whether to leave work today and try and rest.

swajj
06-12-23, 10:21
You forgot the word “collar” because you are constantly testing yourself to determine if you are forgetting words. You think you are having a normal conversation with someone but in normal conversations those doing the conversing aren’t testing their memories. I know exactly what you are going to say now, “but I wasn’t even thinking about dementia when I had that conversation”. Oh yes you were. You just don’t know it. That’s how Health Anxiety works. It is insidious.

willous1
06-12-23, 11:10
It was not on my mind at the time though :(. I am looking back on the thread I had from 10 years ago and it brings back horrible memories. I have now left work and I am stupidly looking at number plates and then a few minutes letter seeing if I can recite them. I have remembered one but not the other. I remember the 2 from last night…I’m driving myself mad

Fishmanpa
06-12-23, 12:44
I’m driving myself mad

That's just it and you're 100% aware of it and been there before. Try to employ some of the techniques you used previously to quell the self-checking behaviors that are ramping up your anxiety.

FMP

willous1
06-12-23, 16:09
Im trying so hard this time but can’t help myself! I don’t even want to leave the house. I didn’t think I’d ever be back like this. I will keep trying

ErinKC
06-12-23, 19:09
It sounds like you're more anxious about the anxiety than about the dementia, which is probably a good thing because it shows that you do know deep down that this has nothing to do with dementia and everything to do with anxiety. The other good thing about it is that anxiety goes away! You really have to just stop the self-checking. Being anxious is only going to make you more forgetful, which is just going to feed the anxiety. You don't have dementia. Everyone forgets words sometimes, especially as we enter our 40s and start edging toward perimenopause. I'm 40, and the other day I walked around my house for like 10 minutes looking for my phone before realizing it was in my hand. This morning I was trying to look up a colleague and kept searching or "Zach" instead of his actual name, "Luke." This is not because I have dementia, it's because I'm distracted by other things or tired or stressed. We still joke with my mom about the things she would say back in her 40s when she was hitting early menopause. Our favorite was when she called the elevator the helicopter.

alpacagirl
07-12-23, 01:47
Honestly when we are in an anxious state of mind our brain forgets, fumbles words, goes into slow motion etc..It's just the symptoms of a tired brain from stress/anxiety. I'm 50 and forget words all the time. Or I drive myself crazy trying to remember the name of a movie or famous actor etc...My husband is even worse than me and he's not even dealing with perimenopause brain :D. My brain has been so fuddy duddy recently. Sometimes I feel too tired to even string a sentence together. This time of year is extra stressful for people and so much more to think about and organize etc. Please don't stress.

Scass
07-12-23, 07:55
Dementia is not forgetting the odd word and whether you put the kettle on. Dementia is not knowing what a kettle is or where you live.

willous1
17-12-23, 10:43
Thank you all! I drive myself crazy. I was getting better then forgot the word puddle yesterday when watching my son playing on his console. It was late and I was tired but just not sure if this is normal!

alpacagirl
18-12-23, 03:44
Don't worry, I went to put a load of washing in the machine the other day and walked into the kitchen with my laundry basket :shrug: My son looked at me and went " well I guess you could put it in the dishwasher " hahaha. I just had to laugh.

darlene85
18-12-23, 14:00
When my grandma died from dementia I was hysterical when I forgot a word "closet" once. It happened again but I think I was just noticing it because of her, I think that happens but we don't think about that.
I've also had nocturnal panic attacks where I would wake up not knowing where or who I am and it was the closest feeling to having a dementia, I guess.
But those are irrational fears.

Lencoboy
18-12-23, 23:29
I'm not quite sure about the minimum age it's possible to get dementia, but beware of certain results you may come across on Google; it can be a hotbed of false information written by know-it-alls with agendas.

Although I kind of jested the other day about a possible brief spell of dementia at the age of 46 in a thread about waking up confused in the middle of the night and thinking I was still at our previous address when going to the toilet in the middle of the night and instead ending up in the spare bedroom (but then remembered where the bathroom in our current house actually is and thought 'what a silly Billy I am!'), I've never heard of anyone probably under the age of 50 at the very youngest having dementia, and the flu-like virus I've had for well over a fortnight, though now finally petering out at long last, could well have been a factor in my sudden moment of madness in thinking I was back in our previous house some 40 years ago.

I'm OK now though, even though it was a bit of a scary episode.

I reckon I could have been partially sleepwalking on said occasion, and I'm pretty sure people tend to sleepwalk mostly during periods of illnesses, especially to the toilet in the middle of the night.

darlene85
19-12-23, 09:11
That happened to me when I first moved to my ex boyfriend's house. I kept waking up in the middle of the night thinking I am in my childhood room. It was scary. I've moved couple of times again and it never happened again, only that brief feeling that I don't know where or who I am which is also scary. I think it's just anxiety but who knows, maybe those are some early signs of my brain not functioning properly.

MLK1958
03-01-24, 17:44
Honestly when we are in an anxious state of mind our brain forgets, fumbles words, goes into slow motion etc..It's just the symptoms of a tired brain from stress/anxiety. I'm 50 and forget words all the time. Or I drive myself crazy trying to remember the name of a movie or famous actor etc...My husband is even worse than me and he's not even dealing with perimenopause brain :D. My brain has been so fuddy duddy recently. Sometimes I feel too tired to even string a sentence together. This time of year is extra stressful for people and so much more to think about and organize etc. Please don't stress.

Thank. you for this post. I have had flu over Christmas and also my car was stolen. I feel exhausted, tearful and keep forgetting words. I am so worried I might have dementia, but I do know I feel tired and anxious. This helps me a bit to know others forget words. I've only been so forgetful since I started to have flu, but what if it IS dementia? I am going round in circles with tearfulness, anxiety and it gets worse every time I forget a word.

MLK1958
06-01-24, 10:47
I'm not quite sure about the minimum age it's possible to get dementia, but beware of certain results you may come across on Google; it can be a hotbed of false information written by know-it-alls with agendas.

Although I kind of jested the other day about a possible brief spell of dementia at the age of 46 in a thread about waking up confused in the middle of the night and thinking I was still at our previous address when going to the toilet in the middle of the night and instead ending up in the spare bedroom (but then remembered where the bathroom in our current house actually is and thought 'what a silly Billy I am!'), I've never heard of anyone probably under the age of 50 at the very youngest having dementia, and the flu-like virus I've had for well over a fortnight, though now finally petering out at long last, could well have been a factor in my sudden moment of madness in thinking I was back in our previous house some 40 years ago.

I'm OK now though, even though it was a bit of a scary episode.

I reckon I could have been partially sleepwalking on said occasion, and I'm pretty sure people tend to sleepwalk mostly during periods of illnesses, especially to the toilet in the middle of the night.
I just noticed you are in the UK and had a flu like virus for over 2 weeks. I have had this since 24th December and still have blocked up head, bad cold symptoms, although slowly getting better. I have had so many instances of forgetting words, tip of the tongue word retrieval problems, forgetting conversations - but I remembered them later. I also have had a great deal of anxiety and stress. I feel as though I can't focus. Did you find the flu virus made your symptoms worse, or could have caused them? I wonder if I have flu brain as well as anxiety?

darlene85
14-01-24, 11:42
I am really worried at the moment that I have early onset dementia at 38, almost 39.
I woke up and it was incredibly hot in the room, I couldn't sleep anymore. I saw that my thermostat was set on a higher temperature that I never set because I can't stand the heat.
It was very cold and I took another blanket just because I don't like too hot room temperature.
I would never in my right mind set up the thermostat to such a high temperature. Never. It's an old thermostat, you must set it manually, it doesn't have a screen. Like a clock.

So, I am either sleep walking which is also terrifiying or this is dementia.
I live alone with my cat and I am terrified right now that we are both in danger because of me.
I always switch off things in my house before sleep and it was like that last night. I left the heating but it was not set to such a high temperature.

Stressed32
04-02-24, 20:01
If you are scared of this, then do things to decrease your odds of getting it. There is so much science now that discusses how coconut oils and good olive oils can all help. Taking Omegas and eating a diet rich in good fats like the Mediterranean diet can all help.