PDA

View Full Version : Any experience managing choking anxiety?

emmc
03-01-24, 16:03
I have had anxiety about choking on food for almost 10 years. This has caused huge swallowing problems and food avoidance in general. I rarely finish meals because I just can’t be bothered with the anxiety of it, I also think it may have reduced my appetite but this also causes stress as loss of appetite is also a symptom of cancer.

Is there any tips on managing it and managing to get the meals in without giving up?

WiredIncorrectly
10-01-24, 13:21
I had this from around the age of 8 when I choked on a chicken bone, and later in life choked on a sweet. For 20 years I struggled to eat. At some point I stopped worrying about it. I was worried that living alone would cause me to stop eating. I still avoid some foods that could be a choking hazard. I can eat tough meat, peanuts and chewy sweets on my own. I'm still learning to eat fish alone.

I was teased a lot as a kid because I ate slow, and picked my food. That didn't help matters.

What helped me was cooking. I really enjoy cooking, and tasting great food. When I've cooked a lovely peppered steak I am enjoying the flavor of what I've cooked. And the steak is cooked just how I like it. So I tend to eat it without really thinking about choking.

Anxiety will cause dry mouth. So when you get anxious about eating, your mouth becomes dry and you feel like it's hard to swallow. I always eat with a glass of water. I've realized this is the norm and a lot of people eat with a glass of water.

emmc
14-01-24, 15:15
Thank you for the reply.

I’ve never actually chocked before so i have no reason why it developed but this helped. I will try get more into cooking.

It’s just that it seems to spiral into other things like my Brain saying my lack of appetite is actually cancer or I can’t swallow because I have cancer and stuff. But I will try this stuff thanks!