PDA

View Full Version : Advice for breathing issues.

Ambierain
07-01-24, 13:18
Hello everyone and happy new year.

I wondered if I could get some advice for an issue I'm having with my breathing. Before Christmas I got into a right state with heart palpitations, since then I've had an ECG which was fine and given propranolol to see if it helps the palps. I'm not too worried about them anymore, but I have since developed an issue with my breathing. I have a heaviness on my chest that can be elevated momentarily if I yawn/take a deep breath. The problem is I'm becoming obsessed with taking deep breaths, it's like my body is craving it, and most of the time I'll take deep breath and wont get that satisfying feeling because I dont think I actually need the deep breath, its like my brain is saying "what are you doing??". I was ready to put this down to yet another anxiety symptom but I stupidly googled and found out this could be a lung issue and now I'm just...argh. I had my oxygen levels /blood pressure/heart rate checked and heart listened to by the Dr on the 27th of December and all were normal (oxygen level was 99) so surely my lungs are actually ok? I've been walking everyday for 25 minutes and haven't been getting out of breath. I do feel more tightness and feel heavier breathing whilst I walk but I think that might just be me so focused on my breathing that I'm noticing things I wouldn't usually.

I think I'm mostly worried because I vape and have somewhat convinced myself I have caused some kind of lung disease/damage. I really don't want to go back to the Dr because the NHS is stretched enough without me making constant appointments.

I guess I'd just like to know whether anyone else has had this and what triggered it? This wasn't a thing before I started hyperfixating on my heart/chest, so surely it has to be anxiety...right?

Thank you.

Boydo
07-01-24, 13:35
How bizzare,

Ive just posted the same thing about breathing, I have too been doing the same had it a bit in december and it went now this last week none stop feel like im not taking in a deep enough breath. I also given up with doctors or hospital as i know all good on that side and you just be dismissed. not entirely there fault the nhs is stretched atm. Breathing exersies help and constantly tell yourself you are ok and it anxiety. I know that last bit impossible & hard to do as once your head in that state your stuck. Hope you find some comfort soon,.

Ambierain
07-01-24, 22:27
@boydo I'm so sorry you're dealing with this as well, so sorry. I cried today because it is currently ruining my life and I don't know how to get out of it. I'm 99% certain it's nothing serious because there are moments (they are rare) where it doesn't happen because I've managed to focus on something else. My entire respiratory system right now is so prevelant. I'm hearing every sound and change, every breath, every speed up. It's like having palpitations of your breath, it's horrendous. Everytime I go out for a walk I'm convinced I'm gonna pass out from shortness of breath because my lungs are collapsing, but logically of course I am going to be more out of breath and in pain if I'm stood worrying about my lungs every step of the way. The only time I don't feel it is when I'm asleep, which again reassures because I think if it was a physical issue it would have woken me up or my partner would have heard/seen some kind of change when I sleep.

Sorry for the rant, I just feel so down right now. I hope you're ok and feeling a bit better today.

Claire83_
06-06-24, 11:17
Hi, are you still struggling with this? Did you see a doctor?
Have you got hay fever? Apparently tree pollen started really early this year, in January. And the pollen count in general has been high a lot.
I just joined the forum and did a search on shortness of breath, which is how I came across your post. I'm going to post separately but thought I'd see how you've got on.
Claire