PDA

View Full Version : Quitting amitryptiline diary

Piano
13-01-24, 17:11
So I’ll be quitting amitryptilline. My dr prescribed it as a migraine prophylactic, but it is also an antidepressant. I will try to post here daily. I’m on 10 mg.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

nomorepanic
13-01-24, 19:58
Hi

This is just a courtesy reply to let you know that your post was moved from its original place to a sub-forum that is more relevant to your issue.

This is nothing personal - it just enables us to keep posts about the same problems in the relevant forums so other members with any experience with the issues can find them more easily.

Please also read this post:

http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/showthread.php?t=213239

Piano
14-01-24, 20:30
So I think I’ll start tomorrow. Not ready for withdrawals yet

panic_down_under
14-01-24, 23:37
So I think I'll start tomorrow. Not ready for withdrawals yet

Any withdrawal symptoms are likely to be mild as the TCAs are usually easier to quit than other ADs, plus 10mg is a small dose with most taking 100-150mg for anxiety disorders and/or depression.

Try not to dwell on potential symptoms as psychology is at least as important as chemistry when quitting a med. Anxious minds are very capable of creating our worst withdrawal nightmares if given the chance.

How long have you been taking it and are you on any other meds?

Piano
15-01-24, 20:38
Thank you thank you thank you!!!

I have been on this drug since October, and it has done nothing for my migraines. I have actually had a daily headache since I started taking it.

I am on a lot of drugs. Lithium for bipolar disorder, prozac for depression/anxiety, lamictal for epilepsy and estrogen because of a hysterectomy. I’m a walking pharmacy LOL. I have quit both seroxat and prozac before, and seroxat was hell, especially the second time. And, I tried to quit amitriptyline once before, I cut the dose in half. It was awful, so I reinstated back to 10 mg.

Today I took my first reduced dose of 7.5 mg. So it will be interesting to see what tomorrow brings…

panic_down_under
16-01-24, 10:35
I'm a walking pharmacy LOL.

I know the feeling. :sad:

I have quit both seroxat and prozac before, and seroxat was hell, especially the second time.

Although those who've quit venlafaxine may disagree, with good reason, Seroxat (paroxetine) is generally the most difficult AD to wean off due to its short half-life and lack of an active metabolite to extend its activity. As with venlafaxine the best way to quit is to switch to the very long half-life fluoxetine (Prozac) and wean off it.

And, I tried to quit amitriptyline once before, I cut the dose in half. It was awful, so I reinstated back to 10 mg.

That's surprising, especially because you're on Prozac which should overwhelm what little impact the small amitriptyline dose is having.

Today I took my first reduced dose of 7.5 mg. So it will be interesting to see what tomorrow brings

Indeed.

Piano
16-01-24, 20:21
Thank you so much for your support, it means a lot to me [emoji846]

Today I took my second 7.5 mg dose. Nothing has changed, I still have the headache I’ve had for a long time now. I suspect it actually may be a side effect from amitriptyline. No depression or anxiety, really happy about that!

panic_down_under
17-01-24, 10:05
Today I took my second 7.5 mg dose. Nothing has changed, I still have the headache I've had for a long time now.

It takes a while for a dose reduction to have an effect so the amount of amitriptyline in your system won't have changed much after 48 hours, and that of its active metabolite, nortriptyline, even less so.

I suspect it actually may be a side effect from amitriptyline.

Maybe, though I'm not so sure. Time will tell.

Piano
17-01-24, 20:20
3rd 7.5 mg dose. Migraine the whole day. Muscle twiching on upper left side of face all afternoon. Other than that I am content. No thoughts about reinstatement, and no anxiety or depression. Since I’m bipolar I’m probably more vulnerable to med changes. So far so good!

Piano
18-01-24, 20:41
4th 7.5 mg dose.

Bad migraine, a little better in the afternoon. Pain in muscles. Don’t know if this is withdrawals or the actual disease. Wish I knew. If this migraine is not caused by withdrawals I would just quit cold turkey.

panic_down_under
19-01-24, 10:22
4th 7.5 mg dose.

Bad migraine, a little better in the afternoon. Pain in muscles. Don't know if this is withdrawals or the actual disease. Wish I knew.

There is no way of knowing. My suspicion is that neither are caused by withdrawal, but can't rule it out.

Piano
19-01-24, 22:50
5th 7.5 mg dose.

The first day with no migraine. Oh happy happy day!!! Hugs for everyone!

Piano
20-01-24, 20:58
6th day on 7.5 dose.

Migraine all afternoon but in a good mood. Tapering seroxat/paxil was way worse than this…

Piano
21-01-24, 21:37
1st day on 5 mg dose

No migraine, good mood, feeling optimistic.

JulieJay92
22-01-24, 07:58
i was on them 10+ years and took 2 weeks lowering dose before i was off them. that was 10 years ago. i am on them again now but every few nights, not daily

good luck

pps i never had any real withdrawl symptoms, it was all in my mind i believe

panic_down_under
22-01-24, 11:28
1st day on 5 mg dose

No migraine, good mood, feeling optimistic.

That's great! :emot-nod:

panic_down_under
22-01-24, 11:35
i am on them again now but every few nights, not daily

That's unusual. Amitriptyline is typically prescribed to be taken daily for anxiety/depression, neuropathic pain and migraine.

Piano
22-01-24, 20:50
That's great! :emot-nod:

Thank you [emoji3060][emoji1][emoji16]

Today is my 2nd day on 5 mg. I’m feeling real good and surprised that I don’t feel worse. I guess paxil withdrawals scared me [emoji33]

Piano
23-01-24, 21:19
3rd day pn 5 mg.

No migraine. I feel like it is to good to be true…. On the pluss side, I’m getting Botox tomorrow for my migraine. I am so nerveous

panic_down_under
24-01-24, 10:53
I feel like it is to good to be true...

It pays to just go with the flow when good fortune smiles. Examining gift horse's dental work is often unwise. :ohmy:

Piano
25-01-24, 20:43
True! I still feel good :-)

JulieJay92
26-01-24, 09:18
That's unusual. Amitriptyline is typically prescribed to be taken daily for anxiety/depression, neuropathic pain and migraine.

its as i work 3 night shifts per week and i was dubious at the start but it actually seems to work and been on them like this for near 2 years now

panic_down_under
26-01-24, 10:21
its as i work 3 night shifts per week and i was dubious at the start but it actually seems to work and been on them like this for near 2 years now

On the assumption that it isn't 3 consecutive nights then plasma levels probably remain level enough. The thing about all antidepressants is that they have no direct effect on the nervous system as say aspirin does for pain, but work by making physical changes to the system which produces the therapeutic response. This is why they take weeks to begin working.

But if its working for you then that's great.

Piano
07-02-24, 09:54
So I am done tapering. I did it! So the lesson I learned was that a slower tapering is better, even if the starting dose is low. Before Christmas I lowered my dose from 10 mg to 5 mg, and it was unbearable. This time I lowered by 2.5 mg each time, and it went well. Yey!

panic_down_under
08-02-24, 11:26
:)