PDA

View Full Version : Advice on how to cope with something that triggers you

Murphy93
19-01-24, 18:01
Hi all ,

I’ve been a member in here for a while now and this marks 5 years this month since I started to convince myself I had MND. Beleive it or not I’ve still panicked myself up until this day on and off that I have it.

/anyway I have been doing so well and suddenly I read an article tonight which has completely triggered me and set me back . I wish I could go back and unread it .

Does anyone have any advise on what to do when something like this happens ? I have spent the last 5 years an anxious mess I can’t continue

lofwyr
22-01-24, 19:38
Well, with regards to your particular issue, I actually don't know what MND is, and based on your experience, I am not going to google it. ;)

I do practice some healthy avoidance techniques. I know the horse has left the barn for you on that, but for my own sake I avoid medical documentaries, medical dramas. I actually have and am monitoring an aortic aneurysm, and when you have one, you will be amazed at how many people die from them on TV shows. :)

I definitely avoid reading medical articles or documents, except for the limits I place on myself. I have a deep, scientific fascination with epidemiology, so I do read a lot of books about historical plagues and pandemics, as well as potential future ones. My knowledge there didn't even have me panicking when 2020 happened. I actually felt sort of prepared for it.

I guess what I am saying is, in the future, know your limits and be mindful of what you allow to pass in front of you. Sometimes we don't have control over it. Everyone I know always tells me about a relative they know who died from an aortic aneurysm. They are trying to relate to me and my situation, but it sort of darkens my mood a bit. ;)

As to undoing after the fact, have you learned any CBT techniques? They are my go to in order to break compulsive thinking (with success often enough, but not always).

Murphy93
26-01-24, 15:44
Hi there

Thank you so much for coming back to me .

I am so annoyed at myself as I have been doing well for years now and stupidly read the article . I’ve trained myself not to look at these things as it does really set me back